VMware Communities
jetkins
Contributor
Contributor

Insufficient Permissions (-44) when running VM from NAS share

Greetings!

I'm running Workstation 12.5 under Windows 10 Pro.  I have a Windows 10 VM that I originally created on my local C drive, and which works perfectly from there, but I would like to move it to a mapped drive on my NAS.  I removed it from my Workstation inventory, moved the entire directory to my NAS, and re-opened the .vmx file from its new location on the mapped drive.  So far, so good.

However, all is not well. If I attempt to change any settings, then after I click OK I get an error message:

pastedImage_0.png

Strangely however, the changes DO get saved.  Perhaps even more strangely, the error message appears to be referencing a shared folder that's defined in my preferences.ini:

pref.sharedFolder11.vmPath = "/vm/#539c1d5be5eb84de/"

pref.sharedFolder11.guestName = "Downloads"

pref.sharedFolder11.hostPath = "C:\Users\jon\Downloads"

but the VM is not currently using shared folders and does not currently have that one defined.

In addition, I have Snapshots set to "ask me", but when I shut down the VM I do not get the popup with my snapshot options.  And while I can manually take a snapshot, the next time I try to start the VM I get another error message the first time:
pastedImage_0.png

but if I click OK and then start it again, it runs just fine!

I have full permissions on the NAS share, and nobody else is accessing it.  If I move it back to my C drive, it all works perfectly again, but if I move it to the NAS again, I get the same errors.

Does anyone have any idea what the heck is going on here?  And as a side question - though quite possibly related - why does Workstation keep creating extra copies of that shared folder definition in preferences.ini?  It seems that every time I add that shared folder to another VM, Workstaton creates another new set of pref.sharedFolderX directives, each with a new vmPath value but otherwise identical.  Is this working as designed, or is it perhaps somehow contributing to my problem?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ioahdsf8048ygh
Contributor
Contributor

Ive had the same issue under workstation 12 and 14.

I believe my issue was caused by creating / moving VMs under Workstation for linux,creating VMs with ESXi 6.5 compatibility, then moving the VMs to an ESXI server via Workstations "Connect to server" option.  The ESXI itself was a VM too.

Once i tried to connect these VMs to another machine running workstation 14, I got the same error, however there seems to be no knowledge or fix for this.

Unlike your post however Im unable to edit or power on these VMs, as changes are not persisted.

0 Kudos
Scillonian
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I'm running Workstation 12.5 under Windows 10 Pro.

If this is Windows 10 1709 (Build 16299) then the KB4056892 cumulative update changed something with regard to network security that causes this issue.

Before the installation of this update several VMs I run from a NAS share operated without issue. After this update, on two different hosts, the VMs started displaying this behaviour. However for me the occurrences are random with the VMs running without issue for several weeks before having problems for a day or two.

I have SMB1 uninstalled on the hosts so I am using SMB2 or SMB2.1 with my NAS (SMB2.1 is the highest my NAS supports). I do not use a shared network drive – I use the UNC path the access the VMs.

0 Kudos