1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 23, 2016 4:05 AM by LucD

PowerCLI and PowerShell Scripting questions.

ZoltanSzabo Lurker

Hello.

I'm very new to PowerCLI and PowerShell.

I am currently working with ESXi and vSpehere, and i must say, it is awesome!

I have heard and read that you can do awesome stuff with powershell powerCLI scripting. I wish to learn it.

Does anyone know were could i find such tutorials for "powershell scripting for esxi".

Or should i first start with windows powershell scripting, to learn the basics, and only after that to move on to powercli? And what exactly should i learn from powershell?

Also, is there a way stress the ESXi host? ..like CPU stress, Memory stress?

Sorry for the all the questions, i am very excited about all of this.

Thank you in advance.

Steven,

• 1. Re: PowerCLI and PowerShell Scripting questions.
          LucD Guru
          Community WarriorsUser ModeratorsvExpert

I would suggest to start learning PowerShell and PowerCLI at the same time.

What I find a good approach is to set yourself an easy target to start with.

For example, generate a report with information from your environment.

This can be for one resource (HostSystem, VirtualMachine, Datastore...) or a combination of these.

Doing practical things is imho the most usefull way to learn, and remember, something.

There are a number of PowerShell and PowerCLI books available.

Most of these are quite good, but note that the books do not always address the same audience (beginner, intermediate, expert)

There are a lot of sites available that link to learning resources.

I find these two quite amazing and useful; PowerShell study guide – core concepts and PowerCLI study guide – core concepts

1 person found this helpful