3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2019 6:00 PM by vdp4life

build the new virtual appliance based on CentOS7 failed

liuqiong Lurker

Hi all:

I want to create the new virtual appliance based on CentOS 7, but when I build it, it fails

The error message as below image:

The transient VM network address could not be discovered.

Here are some possible reasons for the failure:

- The VM failed to obtain a network address if it is configured to run on a DHCP network;

- The VM ran on a network that could not communicate with the Studio;

- The VM failed to report its network address to Studio through its web server (port 80)

buildfail.png

The ESXi IP address is 172.18.139.219(static IP).

The VMware studio IP address is 172.18.139.100(DHCP). I also try to set the VMware studio IP address to 172.18.139.221(static IP), but it still failed.

This is my network configure

network.png

I set the platform to ESX/ESXi 5.0 in the Build Settings, There are only one network : VM network

Iesxi.png

VMNetwork.png

So, My Build settting is as below image, I also try to change the Network Label from "VM Network" to "Management Network", it still failed

buildSetting.png

I have no idea why the built failed??

I also try to set the virtualization Platform to "VMware vCenter 5.0",My vcenter server IP address is 172.18.139.105

I choose the "Storage" to "esxidata". the "esxidata" is the QNAP NAS storage

vcenter.png

NAS.png

But the build failed  also

20/12/2016 10:43:43 [warn] Unable to upload /opt/vmware/www/build/WinpowerAppliance.1/172.18.139.221_WinpowerAppliance.1_provstart.iso to the esxidata datastore.

20/12/2016 10:43:43 [warn]

%3 %7 %11 %15 %19 %23 %26 %30 %34 %38 %42 Failure: (55, 'SSL read: error:00000000:lib(0):func(0):reason(0), errno 104')

20/12/2016 10:43:43 [error] Encountered a fatal build error!

sslerror.png

• 1. Re: build the new virtual appliance based on CentOS7 failed
          dhbtemp Novice

hi,

I'm using vmware studio to build centos7 too.And I met the same problem.

have you fixed this problem? if you fixed this problem,can you tell me how to fix this?

Thank you

• 2. Re: build the new virtual appliance based on CentOS7 failed
            vdp4life Novice

Looks like you got father than most.

I just tried to make a simple install. As the VM is building it just seems to crash. My guess is that iso that is made by vmware studio to kick off the install is not good. It uses it's own grub vmdk which is probably all the legacy grub vs grub2. 

In the debug log you can see

Archive: /opt/vmware/share/build/vmdk/grubvmdk.zip 

inflating: grub.vmdk  

inflating: grub-flat.vmdk  

which is used to create the provstart iso. I think we are doomed from there. 

Archive: /opt/vmware/share/build/vmdk/grubvmdk.zip 

inflating: grub.vmdk  

inflating: grub-flat.vmdk  
            • 3. Re: build the new virtual appliance based on CentOS7 failed
              vdp4life Novice

Been a while but like they say, better late than never. I was able to build an image of centos7 on vmware studio. I'm trying to figure out if its really worth the effort.

The ui itself does not let you modify alot of the things you need you need to get the image working. For example if you open up the xml file for the profile, you would need to modify the cmd line passed down on boot so the new centos installer even starts up. Here is an example how I modified my setup.

boot-args.png

Once you actually boot into the installler, it will complain about the kickstart file. This is because the old format wont work with centos7. It will complain it's missing %end where %pres are used. I ended up modifying it on the fly so I can get a successful template off the ground.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else. It was a pain but it can get done.