VMware Communities
mbmast
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Workstation - Virtualize a Physical Machine (CentOS) - Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password

I am running Workstation 11.1.4 on Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials.  I have VMWare vCenter Converter Standalone installed as client/server.  The version is 6.1.1.  I am logged in as the administrator and I have UAC turned off.  I want to virtualize a remote CentOS machine (a real machine, not a virtual machine) and run it under Workstation on my Windows Server machine.  The CentOS user id is not root, but is a sudoer and a sudoer that does not need to enter a password.  I modified vCenter Converter's converter-worker.xml to allow sudo:

<useSudo>true</useSudo>

and I modified the /tmp directory on the CentOS machine to allow execution:

mount -o remount,exec /tmp

From Workstation, File > Virtualize a Physical Machine... and then enter the IP address, the user name (the user is a sudoer and there is no echo statement in the user's .bachrc file).  When I click Next, I get:

Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.

Here's the interesting part:  I'm also running Microsoft's System Internals TCPView and I can see that when this fails, there is no attempt whatsoever to connect to the remote CentOS machine.  And it fails fast.  Really fast.  Faster than it would if the remote machine had received a request and rejected it for some reason.  Also, if I fire up the vCenter Converter Standalone client, connect to a local server (since I installed it as a client/server with both parts on my Windows Server machine) and then from there start a Convert Machine task and supply the IP address, user name and password (the same info that I supplied to Workstation > Virtualize a Physical Machine), and then click on View source details...,not only are the source details successfully retrieved from the remote CentOS machine, but TCPView shows the connection to the remote CentOS machine on port SSH (22) and shows data being sent and received, which is consistent with vConverter's having no problem showing me the source details.

So what is up with Workstation?  I can see Workstation talking to vCenter Converter (there's local IP traffic on the port vCenter is configured to listen on), but vCenter Converter is making no attempt to connect to the remote CentOS machine (again, this when I attempt this from Workstation). I had hoped to do the entire virtualization of the remote CentOS machine from vCenter (since I can make past the first step), but I have no idea what to enter for the VMWare Infrastructure server details fields (Server, User name and Password).  The drop down Server list is empty.

All I'm trying to do is virtualize a remote CentOS machine and run it as a VM under Workstation.  Not so easy.

0 Replies