VMware Cloud Community
cfsullivan
Contributor
Contributor

Silent VMware Tools Install Without PerfMon Tools

I am trying to get rid of the constant "vmStatsProvider" messages in our Application Logs. I've read that a silent install with the switch to remove the PerfMon component should do the trick, but the install continues to add that component after I've changed the script. This is the string I'm using:

setup.exe /S /v "/qn /norestart REBOOT=ReallySuppress REMOVE=PerfMon"

As far as I can tell, this is correct. Has anyone else tried this?

If I use the GUI to install the tools and I deselect the component there, it is successful and the vmStatsProvider events stop happening.

The install string is in a Perl Script which runs on our Server management solution, which is BMC BladeLogic. I didn't write the script, but I simply added "REMOVE=PerfMon" to it. The script still installs the Tools, but it includes PerfMon, as if it's ignoring the argument to omit it.

vCenter has recently be upgraded to 6, the hosts are at 5.5 and these are Windows 2012 R2 and 2008 R2 guests.

Thanks for any suggestions.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cfsullivan
Contributor
Contributor

I tried the Tools install again with logging enabled. The log shows "Error 2711: The specified Feature name ('PerfMon') not found in Feature Table." The documentation clearly states that "PerfMon" is the component name. One other change I made was to add "ADDLOCAL=ALL" since the documentation seemed to suggest that was needed along with the components to be excluded.

So this is the exact syntax I'm now using, which fails with the error mentioned above:

setup64.exe /S /v “/qn REBOOT=R ADDLOCAL=ALL REMOVE=PerfMon”

0 Kudos
BenLiebowitz
Expert
Expert

I'm not sure if you've referenced this KB article, but for 5.1 and above, the switches are different, esp for suppressing the reboot. 

Installing VMware Tools in a Windows virtual machine (1018377) | VMware KB

I've never tried to remove the PERFMON component, that could be an option in an earlier version of VMTools.

Ben Liebowitz, VCP vExpert 2015, 2016, & 2017 If you found my post helpful, please mark it as helpful or answered to award points.
0 Kudos
cfsullivan
Contributor
Contributor

I actually had already seen that and changed the reboot suppression to REBOOT=R. Also, I saw another article which said some of the component names had changed with 5.5, Update 2xxxxx (something below our 5.5, Update 3116895), but PerfMon hadn't changed. If I try the syntax above but without REMOVE=PerfMon and with a log, the log shows that a component named "PERFMON" is being installed, as far as I can tell.

0 Kudos
cfsullivan
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, this is what is working for me now:

setup.exe /S /v "/qn REBOOT=R ADDLOCAL=ALL REMOVE=Perfmon"

Note the case of "Perfmon", not "PerfMon" as I tried before. It doesn't seem like case would matter, but it's working for me now so I'm not sure what else could be the difference.

0 Kudos