VMware Horizon Community
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

AppVols 2.11 Mount inconsistent

I am running app volumes 2.11 and I am getting inconsistent results as far as the AppStack mounting goes. I have multiple users that I assign an app stack to and a writable volume and maybe 1 out of 3 when I log in the app stack doesn't mount, any suggestions on what I should look at first? I need this to mount every time , to be fair I did just build this so I am sure it needs a bunch of tweaks.

I am also using UEM 9.1 and have a few ADMX configuration but nothing to advanced.

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Here are some logs as well,

Dec 07 2016 03:53PM

Volume "User" is attached to a different VM but block_login is not set (aborting mount)

Dec 07 2016 03:52PM

Volume "User" is attached to a different VM but block_login is not set (aborting mount)

Dec 07 2016 03:50PM

Unable to locate "Machine <ACCOUNTING-003> (5006b43f-7b3d-8418-771e-281a35ff4759)" on "bos-esxhost03.internal.leerink.com" -- Using default hypervisor instead

Unable to find known VM with InstanceUUID "5006b43f-7b3d-8418-771e-281a35ff4759" (templates? false)

Unable to find known VM with InstanceUUID "5006b43f-7b3d-8418-771e-281a35ff4759" (templates? false)

Dec 07 2016 03:42PM

Unable to locate "Machine <ACCOUNTING-002> (5006a8f6-e34f-a91d-aa79-778b468d460b)" on "bos-esxhost02.internal.leerink.com" -- Using default hypervisor instead

0 Kudos
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK looks like first issue was that one user was logging into multiple machines at once and app volumes was blocking secondary appstack mount.. is this normal?

thanks

0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

No. If the appstacks are assigned to user, it should follow the user when logging into multiple pools.

Can you confirm whether the different pools have same OS architecture or different?

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you assign a user a writable volume he or she can only log in once (at least that is my understanding). What you could do is select the option block login when a user is logged in already. You will then get a message that the user can't log in because he already has a writable attached to his session.

Also make sure not to assign appstacks to both users and computer accounts, that doesn't work.

0 Kudos
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

OK thats good to know, i have been able to login w/ the same user across multiple desktop pools and it has been able to mount the stacks but it seems to be more stable if i login w/ that user to one desktop at a time. I get better results and better volume mount if i stick with one for ones and i am running all the same OS windows 7 at the momment.

Thanks

0 Kudos
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey Ray,

Do i configure that in the Connection Server on the desktop pools?

thanks

0 Kudos
Ray_handels
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

You select that option when you create the writable volume. Don't have a manager at hand here but it's the first option out of 3 options.

It's something along the line of "Don't mount the writable when the user is logged on already". It will then only mount once.

0 Kudos
fmarotta
Contributor
Contributor

I am having similar issues running App Volume 2.12.  I have app stacks & writable volume assigned to users running an instant clone pool.  I have my writable volumes setup to Blocks Login: Yes, login to additional computers is blocked if writable is in use.

I am seeing that the writable volume will stop mounting for certain users and when I check the datastore where the writables are stored I see the vmdk is missing but the metadata file still remains.

I have to delete the writable from AppVol then go into the datastore and delete the metadata file for the user so appvol will create a new writeable volume for the user.  Only then will it start mounting the app stacks & writable volumes.

Has anyone else seen this?

0 Kudos