VMware Communities
needhelp64587
Contributor
Contributor

Running Things From 128 GB USB Flash Drive. Is this even possible?

I have VMware. I also have a flash drive that holds up to 128 GB. Is there a way I can keep the VMware file on the flash drive and then bring it to work, plug it in there, then run my entire day from this USB flash drive? Meaning VMware has some way to save the operating system files on this today which would allow me to open it from both my home and my office. Another way to say it is I would like to work a little bit on the Windows 7 64 bit vmware profile at home, save it, then stick the usb flash drive in my pocket.  Then I want to go to work, put in the usb flash drive and continue exactly where i left off at home.  Is this possible? 

I hope this is the correct forum to post this question.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Technically possible, but a flash drive really does not give you a good bases for running virtual machines from.

Even the ones that claim that are really fast, give a very bad performance once you run something disk intensive as a virtual machine from it.

Besides that there are all kinds of potential hazards, like data corruption and CPU differences causing issues, perhaps even windows re-activation.

If you do go down this path then:

- keep regular backups of your flash drive

- don't suspend the VM and go to another computer, shut the VM down before plugging it into another computer.

- when creating a snapshot, commit the snapshot before you go to the other computer.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos