VMware Communities
lockar
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 8.x and Windows 2000 (and ME?)

Hi, I'm having a small problem trying to use Windows 2000 in Fusion 8.x.  When it comes to install the VM Tools I keep getting "Microsoft Runtime DDL cannot installed on this operating system.  Please Microsoft KB835732 for details.".  I don't understand, I know it worked before on an old VM of Windows 2000, but I had to restart from scratch for Windows 2000, so this is new to me.

How do I install VM Tools in Windows 2000 (and ME).

I did a search and saw that there is topics for this, but what kept coming up wasn't in English so I didn't understand what the solution was.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

If I remember correctly, you need to patch Windows 2000 to SP3 at least, before installing the VMware Tools.

0 Kudos
lockar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have installed SP 3 and SP 4 and I still get the same error.  What's strange before the updates, I wasn't getting this error, so I don't understand and it doesn't help the fact that I don't know Windows that well.  I just need to run an Windows program that doesn't run under XP very well. Smiley Sad   I guess I shouldn't have deleted the Windows 2000 VM that was working, I didn't think I would run into this.  If anyone wants to translate KB here for the matter, I would be very great full. Smiley Happy

-Brian

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Sounds like that the VMware Tools you are trying to install is depending on a set of standard libraries (the MS VC runtime libraries) that do not support Windows 2000.

Unfortunately I do not have a windows 2000 VM close by to test with or I would take a look to see what runtime it is trying to use.

It might even be possible to install the required runtime via Microsoft.

There's probably a few ways to resolve, like trying to install an older version of VMware Tools that does not have this problem (see CDS Repository - /var/www/public/stage/session-19/cds for a complete library with all previously released versions)

I take it that you set the guest OS to the correct operating system? (Eg. under Settings -> General -> OS it really should say "Windows 2000" as otherwise the wrong vmware tools are presented)

There's a new vmware tools released, but ... it is for vista and up ( https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/details?downloadGroup=VMTOOLS1010&productId=491 ) and as VMware just split that up into two versions I wasn't able to find the legacy variant that would support Windows 2000.

There's also a new VMware Fusion, version 8.5.3, that should have the latest version of the vmware tools including the legacy version.

So first suggestion is to upgrade to Fusion 8.5.3 and try to install the version of VMware Tools they include there and if that doesn't help then it might be best to open a support ticket with VMware to look into this.

https://my.vmware.com/group/vmware/get-help

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
lockar
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Well I did download old versions of the Tools and I went as far back as 7.0 and I still got the same error, and I also have the latest version of Fusion (8.5.3).

I did summit a ticket, but maybe someone here might be able to find out what's going on here faster? 😕

-Brian

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Maybe,... I have another idea. IIRC then last time I installed VMware Tools under Windows 2000, I had to do a custom install and from the default selection remove the thinprint integration. But can't remember if that was because of a runtime error or for another reason.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
lockar
Contributor
Contributor

Wil,

I will try that for I don't need to print, however I'm getting that error before the Install Wizard (Install shield?) even comes up.  It starts to load when you tell it to install the Tools then as soon as the bar reaches the end to start the Wizard I get that error. Smiley Sad

-Brian

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Seems your problem is like this one:

Can't install vmware Tools on Server 2000

This page: Migrating Windows 2000 / XP to a VMWare virtual machine has details:

5. Installing VMware Tools. Run - and get this message:

Microsoft Runtime DLLs cannot be installed on this operating system. Please see Microsoft KB835732 for details.

Install update KB835732, reboot (now you can), and VMware Tools are being installed without problems. Hooray, we have successfully moved into a virtual machine!

By the way, not the fact that a similar problem with the installation of VMware Tools will pop up in your case. Especially if, as I mentioned at the beginning, all the updates were installed in the original system before the transfer. Nevertheless, have KB835732 at hand, and it is desirable - right on the drive for easy access.

So the trick is in finding KB835732 as the page "https://www.microsoft.com/kb/835732 " says "we are sorry"... somewhere it mentions that it IS part of SP4 so perhaps something went wrong in the installation of that service pack.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
lockar
Contributor
Contributor

Will,

Okay, thanks for the help.  I did have the correct SP 4 installed, it turns out there is a small update to SP4, I was able to install the VM Tools.  However I did get a error about a TP(something).ddl error, I think it had to do with THIN PRINT which I don't care to print from Windows 2000.  In my search of SP 4 update, I found an unofficial SP 5 for Windows 2000.  I haven't tried it yet, hey but I thought I would mention it's out there.  I might install it, since I don't need the internet in Windows 2000 either, I don't think I will worry too much about it being Malware.

Thanks! Smiley Happy

-Brian

0 Kudos