VMware Communities
mmohp
Contributor
Contributor

Why are different VMware Workstation setups behaving so different?

There is one thing about VMware Workstation that I find increasingly upsetting: the very same VM images behave different on different Workstation instances (let's call them WS1 and WS2)!

E.g.

one image boots and works fine on WS1 but bluescreens during boot-up on WS2.

another image boots without and works slightest issues on WS2 but when booting the same image on WS1 it starts with a disk check and find tons of orphaned files and what not and the system behaves erratic afterwards.

I copied the image files (or rather the entire directories) over multiple times and even ran a CRC-check over the files - in both cases all files were absolutely IDENTICAL!

So, why do they then have issues booting on one WS but not on the other?

How come, that either some differences of the host-OS shine through to the guest or VMworkstation corrupts those images after asking whether I copied or moved them.

I have observed these effect already earlier but since the upgrade from 12.5.0 to 12.5.2 I encounter them on a daily basis or even several times per day!

This defeats the whole idea of using VMs and these constant issues make dealing with VM images unbelievable annoying, brittle and tedious!

0 Kudos
0 Replies