VMware Cloud Community
d_oxenberg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

VMWare Standalone Converter P2V Windows host with multiple disks

Hi,

Using VMware Standalone Converter in an effort to clone some physical machines.  The physical machines I wish to clone are running Windows XP (don't ask! :smileyshocked:) and have two physical hard drives:

pastedImage_0.png

I want the destination VM's to have the identical two hard drives but cannot figure out how to configure the settings.  From the way it looks both physical disks on the source machine will be converted to a single virtual disk on the destination VM, or am I misunderstanding?

Also, as you can see in the screen shot above, I am receiving a warning in the "Advanced options" section referring to customizing the guest OS - the warning message at the top of the tool reads "Warning: Unable to locate the required Sysprep files. Upload them under 'C:\ProgramData\VMware\VMware vCenter Converter Standalone\sysprep\xp' on the Converter Server machine. See 'Help' for more details."

If I run sysprep on the source machine and then upload the resulting file will that then create the two virtual disks corresponding to the two physical disks on the source machine?

If not, is there another tool or method I can use to P2V the source computers?

Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gotzu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do you have multiple datastore on your host?

If yes then change destination of second partition to another datastore which will be a separate disk. You can move that disk later if you need.

OR otherwise

Click on advanced next to "Select Volume to copy" and click add disk on right side lower corner (I think)

Cheers!
Rajeev

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Gotzu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Do you have multiple datastore on your host?

If yes then change destination of second partition to another datastore which will be a separate disk. You can move that disk later if you need.

OR otherwise

Click on advanced next to "Select Volume to copy" and click add disk on right side lower corner (I think)

Cheers!
Rajeev
0 Kudos
d_oxenberg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you Gotzu!  I never noticed that "Add disk" button.  Also, I will try to figure out how to change the destination of the second disk to a different datastore.

Any advice on the sysprep message I am receiving?

Thanks,

Barry

0 Kudos
d_oxenberg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks again Gotzu, I appreciate your willingness to help.  With your advice I was able to get the second disk configured.  I also managed to figure out getting the requisite Sysprep files uploaded.  Only problem now is I am getting the "Unable to create virtual machine 'VMNAME' for the following reason: 'A specified parameter was not correct:'.

:smileyconfused:

The saga continues...

🙂

0 Kudos
Gotzu
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Can you please copy paste the name as is here, the one which is giving that error you specified?

Cheers!
Rajeev
0 Kudos
d_oxenberg
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Gotzu,

Thanks for your continued support.

Here is a screenshot of the error message bar:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos