janavax
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can ping and map windows network computers, but NOT browse neither SSH

Host: Windows 10 Home Version 1607 Build 14393.477, 64-bit OS

Guest(VM): Windows 7 Professional SP 1, 64-bit OS

VM: VMware® Workstation 12 Player, 12.5.2 build-46382

I upgraded my PC host to windows 10 not much time ago from Windows 7. Few days ago I began to play VM a Windows 7 guest and an upgrade to VM player 12 was offered by the package and installed.

After the upgrade I ran a client APP on the guest that communicates with a server APP via TCP/IP, which is a Linux running as a VM in other PC, with no success on the communication at all.

So I began to diagnosis the situation with following results:

1.- The guest can ping the host and other computers on the network, also it can map on windows other computers and even the Linux server which is running a Samba file server

2.- The guest CAN NOT ssh to the server neither can browse any web page (nor Intranet neither internet), an

3.- With a wireshark running at the host it could be noted the following:

a) There is data traffic coming and go when ping and windows network mapping is done.

b) There absolutly data NO TRAFFIC when browsing and ssh connection is tried

From googling on the INET, I know this kind of problem has been reported before but there have not been a clear explamation of the cause and possible alternative

Any one that can help  or redirect me to a correpondent thread will be appreciated.

Thanks for read.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
janavax
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Finally I could pin point the parameter on AVG to avoid AVG firewall  to block packages from my guest VM. Just to check the "Allow any traffic from/to virtual machines...." option on the advance configuration of the AVG Internet Security. However, the fix was not inmendiate, I got to shutdown both host and guest before the change had effect

View solution in original post

2 Replies
janavax
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Found a partial solution. I deactivated the AVG Firewall running on the host (I did not realize that AVG include its own firewall in the last update done) and now ssh can pass through. The strange thing is that the AVG FW is partial blocking  tcp client protocols on the VM guest but not at the VM  host. I have to continue investigating to pin point the configuration on the firewall that is blocking the guest virtua machine tcp packages.

0 Kudos
janavax
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Finally I could pin point the parameter on AVG to avoid AVG firewall  to block packages from my guest VM. Just to check the "Allow any traffic from/to virtual machines...." option on the advance configuration of the AVG Internet Security. However, the fix was not inmendiate, I got to shutdown both host and guest before the change had effect