VMware Cloud Community
Venom83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

vRA VM creation on specific ESXi host

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to direct vRA VMs to be created on a specific ESXi host.

First thought was to use custom property, but I could not find one for this.

Any other ideas are welcome, otherwise we might need develop vRO workflow to intercept the VM creation...

Thanks,

Leonid

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Hejahida82
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Leonid (Venom83‌‌)

You can use the custom property VirtualMachine.Admin.ForceHost to specify an ESXi host to provision to. You need to also set the custom property VirtualMachine.Admin.HostSelectionPolicy to a value of EXACT_MATCH for this to take effect and the vRA custom property reference document also states you must not have DRS set to fully automated for the cluster, otherwise vSphere will relocate the VM after it is provisioned.

I've used this for dev environments when I've had a host problem and didn't want vRA to try to use it and cause the job to fail.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hejahida82
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi Leonid (Venom83‌‌)

You can use the custom property VirtualMachine.Admin.ForceHost to specify an ESXi host to provision to. You need to also set the custom property VirtualMachine.Admin.HostSelectionPolicy to a value of EXACT_MATCH for this to take effect and the vRA custom property reference document also states you must not have DRS set to fully automated for the cluster, otherwise vSphere will relocate the VM after it is provisioned.

I've used this for dev environments when I've had a host problem and didn't want vRA to try to use it and cause the job to fail.

Venom83
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Correct. I've just successfully tested this custom property on the Endpoint level.

Somehow I've missed it in the reference, but it is there. Good thing that there are people to ask! Smiley Wink

All the best,

Leonid

0 Kudos