VMware Communities
Sonia7
Contributor
Contributor

Can I set a keyboard shortcut for "Take Snapshot" and "Revert Snapshot" ?

I have VMware Workstation 11. I can see on the toolsbar there's a button for "Take a snapshot of this virtual machine" and one for "Revert this virtual machine to snapshot: xx". But can't I do those two functions via keyboard shortcuts? I was thinking "ctrl+something" maybe. It's just that I work with things that require saving and reverting snapshots constantly, and having to do it with the mouse is tiresome.

If it's currently not possible, could this feature be added on the next Workstation release?

2 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have a keyboard shortcut like
CTRL + Shift + Tab (left hand) + F8 + F10 + F12 (right hand)
in mind ? Then I would join your feature request.
If you had a normal shortcut in mind I rather hope that the VMware-Productmanagers are wise enough to deny this request.
For my taste the VMware-UI-interface already has more than enough "killer buttons".
A shortcut to "Revert to snapshot" would immediatly make it to the number one on my "Top 10 most dangerous UI-functions" in VMware.
Unless other items on the list like "Delete from disk" on ESXi for example the "Revert to Snapshot" is a 99,9 % killer.The damage would be done before users even have the time to realize that they just accidentaly shot themselves.
After a "Delete from disk" there is still a good chance to recover - in my experience a "Revert to Snapshot" on a Windowshost is hopeless.
I would rather ask for an additional confirmation screen ....
By the way - if you are sure you need this function you can consider creating a desktop-button with the help of vmrun or 3rd party automation tols.

Ulli

0 Kudos
Sonia7
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I'm sure I need this function. Can you teach me how to get it to work with vmrun? I've never used it before so I'm clueless. I'm also not good with command line...

I would appreciate if someone could guide me step by step.