VMware Communities
Thumpr
Contributor
Contributor

VM Workstation 12 Pro - Cloning machines and file names created and maintained

Using Workstation 12 Pro

I have several different virtual machines using different OS's and with different programs installed

So here is my question...................

I "clone" an existing virtual machine (VM) using the Manage -> Clone command and create a "full clone"

The clone is created in a separate folder on the server

The clone is given a new virtual machine name

The clone is located in a new folder on the server

When I open the new folder all of the files maintain the name of the original virtual machine that they were cloned from.  So if the new virtual machine is named Win10-Test and the original machine was named Win10-VM1 the files in the new machines folder are:

Win10-VM1.vmx.lck

Win10-VM1,nvram

Win10-VM1.vmsd

Win10-VM1.vmx

Win10-VM1.vmxf

Win10-VM1-cl4.vmdk

Win10-VM1-cl4-flat.vmdk

All of the new files created maintain the original machines name.

Once the new virtual machine is turned on and used some of the files are "renamed" automatically from the original machine name to the new machine's name.  But the "cl4" files always maintain the original machines name, no matter what.

So why are the names of the files created using the original machines name?

How or can the "cl4" file names be changed to the new machine's name?

Is there a better way to create a new machine from an existing machine that I am not aware of? 

I would really like to keep all of the VM file names for a virtual machine the same in the folder that they are held in.  This would make it so much easier to ensure that everything is correct, especially when backing-up and restoring if something happens.

Any assistance or info would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

When you create full clones and use one piece preallocated vmdks renaming files is no problem and safe.
To rename the vmdk:
- rename the flat.vmdk to anything following the convention name-flat.vmdk
- edit the desacriptor-vmdk and make sure the line starting with RW has the reference to name-flat.vmdk - once the descriptor has been adjusted save the file as name.vmdk
- check the vmx-file and make sure the referenced vmdks use your name.vmdk.
- check the line that references the nvram-file - edit that line or just delete it
As long as you have no snapshots feel free to delete name.vmsn and name.vmsd and name.vmxf.
So to sum it up:
after creating a new clone - you only have to edit the descriptor.vmdk and the vmx-file and rename the flat.vmdk
That are only 3 files ....

0 Kudos