VMware Communities
utility02
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation 12 Player - Software Updates not working

I can't get Software Updates to work. I'm using VMware Workstation Player 12. I receive the message: "Disconnected - The connection to the update server timed out. Try again later. If the problem persists, contact VMware Support or your system administrator." (see the image attached). Is it supposed to work this way? Any help is appreciated.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The update windows shows you a link, can you go there?

Eg: https://softwareupdate.vmware.com/cds/

If you can, do you have by any chance an internet connection via a Proxy server? If so then you have to put in the proxy server settings via the menu.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
utility02
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, yes, I can visit the link through my browser (Chrome 54) and no, I don't have a proxy. However, my internet setup is kind of weird. I connect this computer to a virtual wifi hotspot, which is basically another pc of mine, which then connects to the router and to the internet. Additionally, Windows are set to use no proxy.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

My guess is that something in your setup is blocking the download, but .... there are times when one of cds nodes has problems too.

So you can certainly try again a few times and if that does not work, I would suggest to try and connect directly.

OR alternatively you can navigate the previously supplied link and download the files manually.

edit: oh my bad, I thought this was just for downloading the latest VMware Tools, it appears that nowadays it is only for downloading the full package. Yes you can download from there via a browser, or manually download the full installer from

Download free VMware Player

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
utility02
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your help. I will certainly try to use Software Updates on a more stable network setup to see whether this is the problem.

0 Kudos
utility02
Contributor
Contributor

Well, It turns out my network setup is the problem. I changed to a simpler network setup and it worked perfectly. Again, thank you for your help.

0 Kudos