VMware Cloud Community
jedijeff
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Running UNMAP from separate host

I have a Dell Compellent array I am looking to reclaim space on using the UNMAP cli. The ESX cluster attached to this array is fairly utilized at about 68% memory. I would like to run the UNMAP from a host without any VMs running on it in case something happens to the host, i.e. PSOD or hang, etc.

So I have a couple of options:

1. Put an existing host in Maintenance mode and run UNMAP from it. I should have the resources to do this even though my memory utilization is nearly 70%

2. Add another host to the cluster and put it in Maint mode. It is some work to repurpose one, but I can do it from another cluster.

3. I have a small 2-node test cluster that I can map the Array volumes too as well (it is attached to the same FC Fabric). Then I can simply map 1 Array volume at a time to it and run the UNMAP. I would have to map the volume twice on the array side but I cant image that would matter. IE, right now there is a cluster object on the array with all the ESX hosts and that gets mapped. This would be a separate mapping. But I have done it before.

I actually would prefer #3 it seems the safest and least work for me. However I want to be sure there will not be any issues with running this command from a host outside the normal cluster, I cant image so. AFAIK scsi or ATS reservations have no concept of a Cluster. So I should be alright. Just checking.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
0 Replies