VMware Cloud Community
Phil_LeMaster
Contributor
Contributor

Converter failing with: The operation experienced a network error

I can't believe there is any kind of network issue because all of my VM's are working and on the network.

I am running version 6.1.1 and have tried three different ESXi servers. Two are 5.5 and one is 6.0 servers and they all fail. I have also tried this on another PC that fails.

I have also tried different VM's to import. I took one of the VM's and converted it on my PC from one drive to another drive and that works telling me the VM isn't the issue.

I found one article on the web from VMware Converter: "The operation experienced a network error" - discussing the network error issue but said it was something else that he got around.

The other strange thing it does, the progress bar gets to 50% and then speeds up to 98% and then goes back to 6% where it fails.

I have attached the log files from one of the tests.

Thanks

20 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Not sure, but I experienced "network issues" in the past, and they were related to DNS resolution, where the target ESXi host's name couldn't be resolved. Adding an entry to the hosts file solved the issue.

If this doesn't help in your case, check the entries of the converter's "worker" log file, to see whether this contains more detailed information about the issue.

André

Phil_LeMaster
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I don't believe that is my issue because I used the IP address to connect to the vCenter Server on two of the host servers and the other server that's on v6 of ESXi I used it's host name which was resolved thru DNS.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please upload the whole log bundle to check what has happened. The GUI log is the least informative one.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Phil_LeMaster
Contributor
Contributor

Attached is the log you requested.

Thanks

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Here is the error

2016-11-07T09:45:33.296-05:00 warning vmware-converter-worker[06188] [Originator@6876 sub=Default] [,0] [NFC ERROR] NfcNetTcpWrite: bWritten: -1

2016-11-07T09:45:33.296-05:00 warning vmware-converter-worker[06188] [Originator@6876 sub=Default] [,0] [NFC ERROR] NfcFile_SendMessage: hdr send failed:

2016-11-07T09:45:33.296-05:00 warning vmware-converter-worker[06188] [Originator@6876 sub=Default] [,0] [NFC ERROR] The operation experienced a network error -- Failed to send header message

2016-11-07T09:45:33.296-05:00 info vmware-converter-worker[07256] [Originator@6876 sub=task-5] Worker CloneTask updates, state: 1, percentage: 5, xfer rate (Bps): 63605760

2016-11-07T09:45:33.296-05:00 info vmware-converter-worker[07256] [Originator@6876 sub=task-5] Worker CloneTask updates, state: 1, percentage: 5, xfer rate (Bps): 3168256

2016-11-07T09:45:33.296-05:00 warning vmware-converter-worker[06188] [Originator@6876 sub=Default] [,0] [NFC ERROR] NfcSendFile: Failed to send block track file 'C:\Users\Phil.CORP\Desktop\Windows 7 VM\Windows 7 VM-ctk.vmdk': 3

2016-11-07T09:45:33.296-05:00 error vmware-converter-worker[06188] [Originator@6876 sub=task-6] Sysimgbase_Nfc_PutFile failed in H2MDiskCloneMgr with nfcError 'The operation experienced a network error' (error code:3)

NFC stands for network file control, it is a proprietary file transfer protocol used by Converter. Unfortunately its code base is outside the Converter's one and I can't suggest what exactly this error means.

As an attempt for workaround - in case the source files have a rather poor network connection with the destination ESX, could you try copying them somewhere else and retry the conversion?

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
Phil_LeMaster
Contributor
Contributor

I tried three different conversions. I install the converter on a Dell 2012 server and tried it and failed. I then installed the converter on a Windows VM that is on my ESXi-01 server. I then copied the VM to import and tried the import to my ESXi-05 server and it failed. I then tried it again going to the ESXi-01 server. This would eliminate the network because all of the network traffic is going thru the ESXi virtual network adapter and virtual switch on the same server. I am attaching the logs for that.

0 Kudos
Phil_LeMaster
Contributor
Contributor

I just did another test and this time I took a Linux server VM that was on ESXi-01 and converted it to my PC desktop. I then took the VM that I just put on my PC and went back to ESXi-01 and created another VM and this worked. I am attaching the logs in case you want to look at something.

The VM that keeps failing is a Windows 7 VM but as I stated before I took the VM and run it thru the converter and created another copy on my PC to prove the VM was OK.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It is the same error in the log as before,

I'll ask the people from NFC team in case they can suggest anything.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

They requested the hostd logs with this argument

> Is there a host support bundle anywhere? This just tells us that the

> server side of the protocol failed but not why it failed.

0 Kudos
Phil_LeMaster
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't know what log options to select but the ones I did select created a file that was 45MB.

What logs do they want? When I do the Export System Logs I have several options. Do they only want the Network choice selected?

I have System, Storage, VirtualMachines, Userworld, Configuration, Logs, hostProfiles, FileSystem, ActiveDirectory, CIM, Hardware, Installer, Network, IntegrityChecks, Testing, CrashDumps, PerformanceSnapshot

0 Kudos
Phil_LeMaster
Contributor
Contributor

I created the logs and network option which was 14MB

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks for the logs. However it seems they are from a different time (the errors in converter logs are from 2016-11-09, the ESX logs are from 2016-11-10)

I've filed a bug to the NFC team, they will be looking at it.

In the meanwhile I suggest you make another conversion attempt, targeting ESX 6.0 this time, and collect both converter and ESX logs from that conversion.

Then contact VMware technical support in order to further this investigation. Hand them these logs, mention our discussion and the bug number logged - 1764007.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

To be honest I also don't know what boxes to check and what to uncheck. The important thing is the vpxa log and it was included in your bundle.

Edit: In case you do the conversion to an ESXi host that is not managed by a vCenter Server (though this is unlikely), the interesting logs would be the hostd ones.

0 Kudos
Phil_LeMaster
Contributor
Contributor

I am attaching the log from the converter for that time.

I currently have my ESXi 6 server down because I am replacing some hardware. If you want it I can do in on Monday.

0 Kudos
Phil_LeMaster
Contributor
Contributor

I have my ESXi 6.0 server back up. Do you still want me to try the import on that server?

0 Kudos
Phil_LeMaster
Contributor
Contributor

Do you have any update on this issue?

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi

I am not looking at this issue anymore. I've contacted the NFC team and logged a bug. There is currently no updates on that bug. The issue is not in Converter's code and I have no more ideas for workaround. Please contact VMware technical support and give them the information so far.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
RAJ_RAJ
Expert
Expert

HI ,

Could you please explain how you are done the conversion (p2v / v2v )  and how you are trying to import the VM .

From starting step may i can help you on this .

RAJESH RADHAKRISHNAN VCA -DCV/WM/Cloud,VCP 5 - DCV/DT/CLOUD, ,VCP6-DCV, EMCISA,EMCSA,MCTS,MCPS,BCFA https://ae.linkedin.com/in/rajesh-radhakrishnan-76269335 Mark my post as "helpful" or "correct" if I've helped resolve or answered your query!
0 Kudos
Phil_LeMaster
Contributor
Contributor

In case anyone wants to know how I resolved this issue read the following post: Windows Conversion Fails on v6 but works on v5

0 Kudos