VMware Horizon Community
nevgeo1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

App Volumes 2.11 + Office 2010 PP Configuration on each launch

Hi We are in a middle of a deployment and are facing issues with the office App stack.When a user launches any components of office it starts configuring . The Configuration fails and says unable to license the application and closes all the office components.We have followed the steps from App volumes best practices but no luck.

Please Advise

Tags (1)
17 Replies
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

How are you applying the license, are you using a kms server or a MAK key. If your not using a KMS you should look at using one, but you also need to use the ospp.vbs script that in the office directory to manually activate office. I've seen similar issues when the script we used wasn't working.

0 Kudos
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Did you re-arm the Office AppStack?

My suggestion is to put Office in your master image, since it is heavily integrated with the OS and Third part add-ons work better with Office on the master image. A lot less of a headache.

Mike_A
0 Kudos
Lakshman
Champion
Champion

During provisioning Office 2010 AppStack, please try the below steps and post the results.

1. After installation of Office 2010, do not open any Office components

2. Launch a Command prompt as Administrator

3. Go to C:\Program files\Microsoft office\Office 14 folder

4. Run command: cscript ospp.vbs /

5. Run command: sethst:KMSSERVERNAME.com

Also, make sure the KMS server can be pinged from the deployment VM.

0 Kudos
nevgeo1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We have tried all the above and none of the solution worked for us. We raised a VMware SR and they have informed us to install the basic office in the master image.

Thank you guys for the response

0 Kudos
DaveG_QVC
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Having wrestled with Office products and App Volumes all summer I might be able to offer some help.

First, I would need more information on the VM and other App Stacks being applied, ThinApps being applied if any etc..

1. What OS is the Core/Base image?

2. Is the Base OS just the OS or do you have other non-OS applications installed? This includes things like Visio Viewer or Office redistributables and of course any full applications.

3. How many App Stacks get applied?

4. List the applications and support components installed for each.

My experience with this issue was primarily that we are an Office 2013 organization but many users due to licensing and other internal issues use Visio 2010 and/or Project 2010. The order in which Office installs are applied during the "log on build", whether the full suite or not, matters a ton. We had to break out Visio 2010 and Project 2010 into separate App Stacks and assign them to a specific person so that we could utilize specifying the order the stacks mounted. This includes anything, even Visio viewer. Once we had Project 2010 and/or Visio 2010 or 2013 loading before the general Office 2013 (which is in our core application stack) our reconfiguration issues stopped.

Our app stack order would go:

Project 2010

Visio 2013

Core App Stack which contained Office 2013 Pro Plus.

Some other things we found were the task sequences that get added after a 2010 or 2013 suite/product installs that triggered competing actions or forced one of the installs to deem itself broken and requiring a self-repair. Remove them prior to sealing up the provisioning.

0 Kudos
Smoke14
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Tip!!!

If you are going to AppStack Office and place in your master image, make a clone of your master image and remove the all agents but AppVolumes agent and anti-virus also.

Then snapshot that as a provisioning image and then provision Office with the steps mentioned above.

Mike_A
0 Kudos
nevgeo01
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Guys

Thank you for all the replies. We still have the issue of reconfigure when we have visio app stack attached. VMware support has requested the engineering team to have a look in this issue.

Until now no response

0 Kudos
danielkrause
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We had an issue with an AppVolume application with outlook plugins.

Office10 startet to reconfig each time a user connected to the machine.

We added the following keys to prevent a reconfig:

You can add it in your user personalization, in your logon script or GPO

#Office

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Excel\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Access\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Powerpoint\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

#Visio

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Visio\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Replace the nr, if you have a different version of Office

14.0        Ofc 2010

15.0        Ofc 2013

16.0        Ofc 2016

Give us a feedback Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Hi Danielkrause,

I am using VMware UEM for user profile personalize, do you know how to block the outlook configuration screen using UEM?

0 Kudos
danielkrause
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello Sravan,

we are using a third part user environment tool, so i am sorry i cannot help you.

But you need to change a key (as you see in my previous post) inside the user context.

This should be not so complicated.

OFC2010 = reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Outlook\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

OFC2013 = reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

OFC2016 = reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1

https://www.vmware.com/pdf/uem-860-admin-guide.pdf

You can also use a user GPO to puplish the keys.

Good luck!

Regards

Daniel

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Thanks for responding Daniel, I am trying to fix it but no luck, still working on it

0 Kudos
RHSloan
Contributor
Contributor

Fought this for a few days pretty much doing everything listed.

Setting the registry keys and running the KMS activation cscript were the main fix.

Pushed out thru GPO but had to add a 10 second delay to the script to allow the app layer to complete loading before executing.

It was not enough to set the policy to "Always wait for network".

After adding the delay, no more re-registers and the KMS always activates....so far.

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

Hi RHSloan,

even I tried every thing and moved office to gold image and appstacked visio using the provision VM which contains office, now I am not getting the re-configuration screen.

but there are some app stacks which added to user along with visio app stack, users are seeing the configuration screen when user open visio, still I am looking for permanent solution for it.

can you please explain me how you fixed it? 

0 Kudos
sjesse
Leadership
Leadership

Visio and project can’t be separate, if you have office on the gold image visio and project need to be there

0 Kudos
Sravan_k
Expert
Expert

But how can we manage licensing, if we keep it in gold image? not every user uses visio and project 

0 Kudos
RHSloan
Contributor
Contributor

This is what worked for me....

We are not using Project or Visio thru VDI but I "assume" that it would work the same.

My install is with MS Office 2013.  I do not have Office on the Golden Image. I did not modify the config.xml during the install.

I did install the VC2013 Redist on the Golden Image and set the KMS path but that did not seem to hold.

On the App Vol, I installed Office and Verified.  Created a batch file with the following info:  (Same as above but added a delay)

------------------

Timeout 10 /NOBREAK

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Word\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Excel\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Access\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Powerpoint\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Outlook\Options /v NoReReg /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

cd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15"

cscript ospp.vbs /sethst:kms_server_name.domain.com

cscript ospp.vbs /act

-----------------------------

Applied at user logon initially with a logon batch file to verify and then later added to a GPO and applied to the VDI users.

I found I needed the delay in order to wait for the app layer to fully load before processing..

I could run the batch file manually and everything would work but not when triggered at logon.  The delay fixed that.

Not sure that it was necessary but I also made the "domain users" local admins.   I may remove this and test again but no big thing in our environment.

RHSloan
Contributor
Contributor

Thought I would post an update as to what I have going on with this.

I had everything working but then it broke and KMS quit activating and setup32 was running again....

Time on other projects and then a few days back to this.

Recreated my provisioning machine.

Created a new app volume for Office 2013

Installed Office using Office Customization Tool (OCT) reference for Office 2013

Customized Office for the options I needed.

KMS licensing, set Display Level to None, Modify user settings to disable the Startup Options for updates and Welcome movie.

Run setup using the saved MSP.

Still using the batch file above with a 5 second delay but moved it to the all users startup folder on the Office App Volume so it loads with that specific volume.

I am loading up to 5 different app volumes with some users. 

Once I hit the 5 license count to kick in KMS all is working good.  For now....

0 Kudos