VMware Cloud Community
kenw232
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Errors trying to covert VM?

I'm trying to use Vmware Converter Standalone 6.0.0 build 2716716 to convert a VM on an ESX6 server.  it worked perfectly fine in the past.  All of a sudden I'm getting an error at the very end of the conversion:

FAILED: An error occurred during the conversion:

'The session does not have the required permissions'

and in the log highlights:

Error: Unable to clone disk [DATASTORENAME] path/vmname.vmdk on the virtual machine 'Vm Name'.

Any idea?  I did recently install Veeam backup & replication on the same client machine Converter is running on.  Veeam runs fine.

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
fkhan1
Contributor
Contributor

You may run into this error if the Disk is a RAW LUN. You need to detach the RAW LUN before the conversion and add it back after you done.

0 Kudos
kenw232
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

But I've never added a RAW LUN?  Where did this come from?  Did Veeam do it?   Do I detach this RAW LUN like is covered here:
Switching a raw data mapping between physical and virtual compatibility modes in ESX/ESXi (1006599) ... ?

And when I do this command:

find /vmfs/volumes/ -type f -name '*.vmdk' -size -1024k -exec grep -l '^createType=.*RawDeviceMap' {} \;

found here: Identifying virtual disks pointing to Raw Device Mappings (RDMs) (1005937) | VMware KB

it shows I have no Raw Devices Mappings?

[root@local:/vmfs/volumes] find /vmfs/volumes/ -type f -name '*.vmdk' -size -1024k -exec grep -l '^createType=.*RawDeviceMap' {} \;

[root@local:/vmfs/volumes]

So this means I my disks are not raw lun's correct?  So it can't be the problem..

0 Kudos
fkhan1
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, you're right. And if you go to summary of the VM, look for RAW LUN - as show below in the image.

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
kenw232
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes, I only have  one Hard disk 1 = Virtual disk, no Mapped Raw LUN.

But this still leaves me confused, why can't Converter back it up?  Why my error?

0 Kudos
fkhan1
Contributor
Contributor

Based on your error report, I can say try to resolve this issue, ensure that the destination datastore is formatted with a block size that is large enough to support the VMDK file of the source machine.

Refere this KB: Cloning or migrating virtual machine files fail with the error: Error caused by file (2009097) | VMw...

0 Kudos
fkhan1
Contributor
Contributor

Also, best practice for Veeam Backup server SSO is to keep it on a different server.

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Can you upload the log bundle?

It may be something relate to vSphere permissions. The required permissions for conversion are not immediately obvious; you may have a look in the user guide, p.26.

Regards,

Plamen

0 Kudos
kenw232
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I temporarily made the log files available here:

http://sites.extremehosting.ca/temp/ConverterDiagnostics20161028144919.zip

If you can find something wrong please let me know, I'm lost.  I was trying to convert the VM called "Mail Crescent - mailserver1", thats what fails.  actually all my VMs fail, but thats what fails in these logs.

0 Kudos
dmeyner22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm assuming you downloaded the latest version of converter?  What OS is mailserver1?  Did you try running converter from the server?

0 Kudos
UmeshAhuja
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Can you check with the block size of the destination datastore might be does not support a VMDK as large as the source.

OR

When you try to convert a VM with Paravirtual SCSI Controller, VMware Converter throws you a nice error and the task fails with Status: FAILED: An error occurred during the conversion

Try doing this:

– Change all Paravirtual controllers to LSI Logic (VM MUST be powered off)

– Do NOT poweron the VM from now on

– Perform the Convert, make sure VM is not powered on automatically after convert

– Change SCSI controller back to Paravirtual

– Power on VM

To change a SCSI controller, open Edit Settings… from the VM and select the SCSI Controller.  Click the Change Type… button and modify the SCSI Controller Type.

Thanks n Regards
Umesh Ahuja

If your query resolved then please consider awarding points by correct or helpful marking.
0 Kudos
kenw232
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm running Converter 6 locally on a Windows 8 machine.  Destination is not to a datastore but to the local Win8 NTFS filesystem.   I see theres a converter 6.1 which I'm trying now.  When I try to convert the source VM is a powered off Linux VM.  I'll report back soon, thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
kenw232
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I updated Vmware Convert to 6.1.1.  Exact same problem.  Log highlights say "Error: Unable to clone disk [MyDataStoreName]".   Source VM is only 4.6GB in size.  So thats not the problem.  SCSI Controller Type is BusLogic which has been fine for like 10 years.  All of a sudden I have this problem, which has surfaced right after I installed Veeam Backup & Replication.

When I try to Convert a local Vmware workstation machine on the Win8 machine up to the ESX server it also fails but with a different error:

FAILED: An error occurred during the conversion:

'The operation experienced a network error'

Always right at the end at 99% done.

0 Kudos
kenw232
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How much free space should a datastore have to do snapshots?  I have a backup job with Veeam that is working and it says in the logs as it works "Creating snapshot".  The VM size is 14GB and the free space on the datastore is 28GB.  Sounds ok.

I have another VM that fails on the same datastore but the size of that VM is 130GB, do I need more free space to make it work then?

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

These are the GUI logs.

Click in the failed task and select "export logs"

0 Kudos
patanassov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It is possible that Veeam interferes with the conversion. If you can stop it and retry, it's worth trying.

Since the error is at 99%, the cloning has passed. You can try just configure the destination VM if it it Windows and power it on.

If all that fails - post the worker's log.

0 Kudos
kenw232
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Its a linux destination guest.  I put logs here that probably have the working stuff in it if anyone can take a look:

http://sites.extremehosting.ca/temp/ConverterDiagnostics20161101191643.zip

0 Kudos