VMware Cloud Community
fkhan1
Contributor
Contributor

If I uninstall vCenter Server 6.0, does it affects the running Hosts and VMs?

If I uninstall an active vCenter Server which consists Hosts and VMs in it, does it gonna affect the Hosts and VMs? Will they become obsolete?

Lets say if I reinstall the vCenter Server, add the Hosts again, do these Hosts retain the Host profile attached to them previously?

Or if I detach the Hosts before uninstalling the vCenter Server, will they retain the Host profile attached to them earlier?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

When you say 'Host Profile', are you referring to vSphere host profiles? Or simply the configuration of the ESXi server?

For the most part, the configuration of the ESXi hosts and virtual machines themselves are contained on the ESXi server. If you remove the hosts from vCenter server, you will lose a lot of vCenter Server features and configurations such as HA, DRS, datastore clusters, distributed switching (at least the management), etc.

You can add the hosts to a new vCenter server, or back to the existing vCenter server, and the majority of the host configuration (storage, networking, DNS, NTP, Syslog, etc etc) will still be in tact.

If you were referring to host profiles, these are stored within vCenter Server itself. Host profiles can be export and imported.

Does that help?

Cheers, Matt.

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!
0 Kudos
fkhan1
Contributor
Contributor

I meant vSphere Host profiles. So you mean to say that if I unregister the Host from the vCenter and add it back when I am done reinstalling the vCenter server (use Host profile Export and Import), I can get back the same (earlier profile config.) vSphere Host profile config.

And if I remove the Host from vCenter Server, is it gonna remove the Management Network (VMkernel Port)?

0 Kudos