VMware Communities
cavalu2016
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vmware Workstation with esxi

Hello,

i have a  problem : i want to follow the course vsphere6 by K Barker. at lesson 6 i have to create 9 more NIC's for my virtual machine Esxi. after installing ESXI i don t see the aditional NIC's i have created, i see only the phisical NIC.

any ideas? i tried with esxi5.5, esxi 6, same result.

tks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

To expand on André's comment: If you are using Workstation 10.x, 11.x or 12.0.x, and you create additional virtual NICs within the New VM wizard (using the Customize Hardware button near the end of the wizard, before you finish creating the VM), those additional vNICs will not be created correctly for use by an ESXi guest – they will be missing the "ethernet#.virtualDev" lines needed to make the devices compatible with the ESXi guest OS.  Adding vNICs to an existing virtual machine (after it's been created) should work correctly.

If that is the cause, the problem was fixed in Workstation 12.1... so if you are using 12.1 or newer, you should now be able to add extra vNICs during the New VM wizard, and they should function correctly.

Cheers,

--

Darius

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Welcome to the Community,

please check whether the virtual network adapters (in the VM's .vmx file) were created with the correct type.

For ESXi 5.5 add ethernet#.virtualDev = "e1000" for each virtual NIC, for ESXi 6.0 it's ethernet#.virtualDev = "vmxnet3".

André

0 Kudos
cavalu2016
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi,

to be more specific:

1. first i created from vmware workstation - virtual network editor  4 more NIC's (see attach)

2. then i created the esxi machine, and from vmware workstation i created 10 NIC's ; first 2 nics were assigned to the physical NIC, the next 2 NIC were assigned to the 1 NIC created with virtual network editor, and so on. (see the attach)

3. after installing the esxi i see only 1 nic : the physical nic

and i don t know what to do to apper all 10 NICs 

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Did you check the ESXi VM's configuration (.vmx) file to check whether it contains the entries I mentioned?

If you are unsure, please attach the .vmx file to a reply post.

André

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

To expand on André's comment: If you are using Workstation 10.x, 11.x or 12.0.x, and you create additional virtual NICs within the New VM wizard (using the Customize Hardware button near the end of the wizard, before you finish creating the VM), those additional vNICs will not be created correctly for use by an ESXi guest – they will be missing the "ethernet#.virtualDev" lines needed to make the devices compatible with the ESXi guest OS.  Adding vNICs to an existing virtual machine (after it's been created) should work correctly.

If that is the cause, the problem was fixed in Workstation 12.1... so if you are using 12.1 or newer, you should now be able to add extra vNICs during the New VM wizard, and they should function correctly.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
cavalu2016
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

hi,

sorry for replying so late. i created the vm's as you said: first with only one nic (the physical nic) and after installing the esxi i added another 9 nics.

when i checked in the esxi all 10 nic were there. i didn t checked the vmx file as andre said, but probably following his solution the result woult be the same.

thanks you both.

0 Kudos