VMware Cloud Community
cgrvy
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

vROPS Alerts not clearing

We are using vROPs version 6.3 - upgraded from 5.8 to 6.2 and then onto 6.3.

We have a lot of alerts - over 32k... is it possible to easily clear all alerts in the environment?

It appears that the cancel cycle is not working properly. We have a lot of alerts for, say, network redundancy lost due to some work that was carried out a few days ago. The alerts are still in there, even though looking at the alert definition, they should have cancelled.

I see this KB: but I'm not sure it applies here as we are on a later version of vRPOs.

After cancelling the selected alerts in VMware vRealize Operations Manager 6.0.x, one or more of the...

Thanks,

2 Replies
EStaceyPLX
Contributor
Contributor

We have been having this issue as well on our 6.3 install (updated from 6.2). My sample is an alert for Citrix XenApp hosts without VMware tools running (to spot PVS boot issues).  Cancel Alert would clear it for about 1 min but then would be listed again.  We found that if we snooze the alert for a time equal or greater to the cycle time it would not show back up. 
Oulyanov
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1. To cancel active alerts for such numbers I would suggest to use REST API. below is explanation that might help, I cannot find script right now

1. Use POST /api/alerts/query endpoint and specify the request body with the criteria of interest to you. There is a property viz. 'activeOnly' which can be set to "false" so as to return all the active Alerts. You would have to make this API call several times
  2. The above API response returns all the Alert objects matching your criteria. One can pick the 'alertId' attribute (which is a UUID) and use the POST /api/alerts?action=cancel and specify in the request body all the UUIDs of the Alerts that you want to cancel.

2. We had a problem with auto-cancel network redundancy lost alert in version < 6.3 and also if lert is triggered by 6.2 upgraded to 6.3 it will also stay forever as active. Cancel them manualluy using p.1

3. Remember that cancel cycle will clear *inactive* alerts only. Active alerts if not converted to inactive will stay "forever" in console.

Regards, Oleg