VMware Communities
Rapidz
Contributor
Contributor

No Input for windows XP vm

I've currently got a windows XP vm, this was created from a raw image .dd file, I've resolved the hardware conflicts such as the SCSI differences, that was producing a blue screen (this image is from a 2005 SP2 machine.)

Upon booting the image on VM everything loads successfully, however, on the Windows XP login screen the mouse or keyboard isn't detecting any input. I've spent about 2 hours trying every possible result from google, such as trying ps2 keyboard, usb 1.1, and a number of other things.

Moreover, the funny thing is that when booting into the BIOS of the machine, the keyboard works fine, which leads me to believe it is on the OS side of things, anyone got any ideas?

Here is the login screen if that helps.

Edit: I forgot to add that I cannot login to the admin account to install any necessary drivers if this could be the issue. In the meantime I'll try get admin access.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

There are some hardware keyboard/trackpad drivers that interfere with VMware's keyboard drivers.

Most likely the old hardware had a synaptic touchpad and software installed.

This is an issue people sometimes bump into when moving a physical machine to virtual.

The drivers from the touchpad do not work well together with the VMware mouse and keyboard.

It is not synaptic only, but the issue is usually the same.

See also:

Re: HELP my keyboard doesn't work in my virtual machine!

PS: You might be able to use the virtual keyboard to uninstall (or if that doesn't work and you still have the physical hardware, uninstall the drivers there and remigrate) or use an external usb keyboard or.. (well see the thread I reference for ideas)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos