VMware Cloud Community
mstlogtech
Contributor
Contributor

I am looking for instruction in setting smtp and email notification in vcenter esx 5.5

Thank You

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

Please take a look at e.g. Configuring an email alert for the vCenter Server alarm (2123925) | VMware KB

You can find more details/information about this topic in the vCenter Server documentation.

André

0 Kudos
mstlogtech
Contributor
Contributor

Thank You Andre,

the instructions are pretty clear:

To configure an email notifications for an alarm:

1. Log in to vCenter Server.
  2. Click the Administration tab and select vCenter Server Settings.
  3. Select the Mail option.
  4. For the SMTP Server option, enter the IP address or the DNS name of the email/exchange server to which the alert notification must be sent.
  5. For the Sender Account, enter the email address from which the alert must be sent.

After configuring the email notification for an alarm, set an email alert on the alarm.To set an email alert on the alarm:

1. Select the vCenter Server and click the Alarms tab.
  2. Click Definitions and then select any alarm. For example, Datastore usage on disk.
  3. Right-click the Alarm and click EditSettings.
  4. Click the Actions Tab and click Add.
  5. Select Send a Notification Email in the Action option.
  6. Under Configuration, enter an email address to receive the alert, and select the trigger as per requirement.
  7. Click OK.

But I would like to use smtp.gmail.com and user info like user&password  don't see that option under settings. Thank you

0 Kudos
mstlogtech
Contributor
Contributor

looks like I have to use exchange or some sort of local rely in order to use VCenter with email alerts, well it what it is. Not everybody is using exchange .....

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

You are right, that's unfortunately the case (see https://kb.vmware.com/kb/2063147). SMTP authentication is currently not supported, so you need to workaround this if you don't have your own email server in place. There are some guides on the Internet for such workarounds, see e.g. https://paulgrevink.wordpress.com/2011/02/06/configuring-vcenter-for-email-with-smtp-authentication/

André

PS: For alarms which offer to trigger a script, it might also be an option to send an email by the script.

0 Kudos
mstlogtech
Contributor
Contributor

Thank You so much, I was thinking about that link and solution in it too. Have a nice day!

0 Kudos