VMware Communities
ShoreNuff
Contributor
Contributor

Connecting a VM to a GigE camera

Hi,

How do I connect a GigE camera to a VM.  My host, Windows 10 x64, has two network cards, one for my work domain (LAN and internet), the other for the GigE camera.  How do I get a VM running Windows 7 x86 to connect to the GigE network card?  My VM currently is connected to the primary network card via the  NAT setting?

Thanks.

- Neil Shore

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Use the Virtual Network Editor.  Instead of using "automatic" bridging, specify which physical NIC you want each virtual network switch to use.

0 Kudos
ShoreNuff
Contributor
Contributor

Hi RDPetruska,

I'll need some instruction as to how to do this.  I tried, as you suggested, using the Virtual Network Editor along with reading the help entries to add a connection to the Basler Adapter.  I can't seem to set up the connection.  The image below shows my host Workstation network connections.  Its the Basler GigE adapter that is connected to the camera.

NetworkConnections.JPG

Could you point me to exact (or close to exact) instructions as to how to connect it.  Blow are the current virtual machine settings.

Windows7x86Settings.JPG

Thanks for your help

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

In your VM settings, select the network adapter.  Change from NAT to Custom (select any unused VMnet).  Then, for that VMnet, select the Basler NIC to connect to. 

This *should* connect that guest's virtual NIC to the Basler physical NIC in a bridged mode.  If there is no DHCP server on that network segment, you will need to manually specify (in your guest's network settings, not the VM settings) the IP address, subnet mask, gateway (if needed).

0 Kudos
ShoreNuff
Contributor
Contributor

Hi RDPetruska,

Thanks for this information.  I had tried what you said, but I added an additional virtual NIC.  This time I'll try with just the one NIC you saw in the settings image I sent you.

I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks again.

- Neil

0 Kudos