VMware Communities
TECH198
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

svhost.exe VMtools

Hi all..

Running Windows 7 VM, CPU jumps to 100% CPU, seen via Task Manager "Show processes from all users"

This does not happen immediately, only after installing VMWare tools..

Any solutions ?  Killing the process, restarting, and doing other stuff are just workarounds, not a solution...

I've created a dump of the affected process. but deem this not a Microsoft problem, but a VMWare fusion problem, because if only happens after installation of this.

Running Windows 7 with SP1... I have not added any Windows updates.

Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 11.01.47 am.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
hyan
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, TECH198

Welcome at Fusion community~

For better understanding your question, please provide detailed information list below:

1. Mac Hardware version (CPU, Memory, Graphics, Disk)

2. MacOS version number

3. Fusion version number

4. VM configuration (CPU, Memory, Disk, etc)

My suggestion:

1. Extend VM CPU and Memory if possible, 1 core to 2 cores, 1 GB to 2 GB

2. I noticed there is a svchost.exe process which was running at 49% CPU, please right-click on it and select ‘goto service’ at the bottom of the context menu, you should see what service running at high CPU, please write here, thanks.

3. Sometime, Windows Auto Upgrade will make VM running at high CPU, close or set it with 'Manual Upgrade'

Thanks,

Harry

0 Kudos
Darcyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi TECH198

Welcome to Fusion Community.

For background please read the following thread:

https://communities.vmware.com/message/2579410#2571427

The process "svchost -k netsvcs" is called by windows update and takes a long time to complete.

What does fix it, is running windows update so that no more critical updates are out there.

Thanks and Regards

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

There's another thread with instructions on two manual patches to install that fixes the windows update bug.  Install those, then install all found patches, and this should resolve itself.

0 Kudos