VMware Communities
nathanialc
Contributor
Contributor

Multiple Solaris 10 Networking Issues

Hello,

I've been trying to get networking in Solaris 10 working for the past few days. Inside the VM itself I installed VMWare Tools successfully and set up the necessary network settings in Solaris. However, the only network options that I'm given in the VM are e1000g0 and lo0, neither of which work. I then tried messing with the network adaptor settings, making it both shared and bridged, neither of which worked.

Whenever I try to edit the ethernet settings in the .VMX file, VMWare will either not boot Solaris with no error message, or it will delete ALL the settings and adaptors I had previously saved in the VM, saying the operating system is not found. I then have to reattach the sound card, hard drive, etc. I'm unable to set the ethernet to VMXNET3 or any form of e1000 because of this.

How should I go about setting up networking without having VMWare decide to delete everything?

I can provide more info if needed.

Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi nathanialc,

Which version of Fusion are you on?

However, the only network options that I'm given in the VM are e1000g0 and lo0, neither of which work.

Which network are you using? NAT or bridged? Could the network adapter get IP address inside your VM?

The default ethernet adapter is e1000 for Solaris 10.

Whenever I try to edit the ethernet settings in the .VMX file

How did you edit your VMX file, use 'Textedit' or vim on host? If you're using Textedit, please uncheck 'Smart copy/paste, Smart quotes, Smart * ' via TextEdit Preferences...

Which items did you want to change in your VMX file?

I'm unable to set the ethernet to VMXNET3 or any form of e1000 because of this.

You want to set your network adapter to VMXNET3?  If so, please edit item:ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000", and change it to ethernet0.virtualDev = "vmxnet3".

Please use the following instructions to setup your VMXNET3 card in your solaris:

Activating a VMXNET3 nic in Oracle Solaris 10 (2009199) | VMware KB

Hope that would helpSmiley Happy

0 Kudos