VMware Cloud Community
terenceng
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to access VSAN Datastore from Exsi Host

Hi All,

I am new to VSAN, just want to know is there a way I can migrate VM Guest (under vSAN) to Esxi host?

VSAN Datastore (vSAN_Datastore), latest version

Esxi Host Datastore (APP_Datastore), running Esxi 5.5 due to the license restriction.

Beside setup a "middle-man" like Fiber Chanel, NFS in between, is there a way I cloud access ESXI Host's datastore from VSAN or vice versa?

Thanks!

Terence

VSAN +ESXI.png

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Terence,

Currently, It is not possible to access VSAN datastore out of the VSAN cluster boundaries.

Yes, you can use NFS datastore. Here are the possible steps you should plan to execute:

1) Storage vMotion of VM (Name 000) from VSAN datastore to NFS datastore.

2) vMotion VM (Name 000) from host_x to ESXi 5.5 host.

3) Storage vMotion of VM (Name 000) from NFS datastore to local datastore (APP_Datastore) of ESXi 5.5.

This will avoid the manual work of creating new VMs on ESXi 5.5 and then mounting VM hard disks on these new VMs.

Cheers!

-Shivam

View solution in original post

3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Migrating a VM from ESXi 6.0u2 to ESXi 5.5 will only work if the VM version of guest VM is 10 (Compatibility ESXi 5.5 and later). It will not work if the VM version is 11 as It is not compatible with ESXi 5.5

Prerequisites:

vMotion traffic must be enabled on all the hosts.

Steps for your requirement:

1) Add your ESXi 5.5 host (which has APP_Datastore) to VSAN Cluster.

2) Migrate the VM using option "Change both compute resource and storage option" from vSphere Web Client.

3) Select compute resource as your ESXi 5.5 host.

4) Select storage as local datastore of ESXi 5.5 host i.e. APP_Datastore in your case.

Let me know how it goes. Hope this helps you accomplish the tasks you are looking for.

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question as answered when you get the correct answer and award points to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.

Cheers!

-Shivam

0 Kudos
terenceng
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Shivam Chawla,

Thanks for the reply.

Lets say:

1. There is a VM Guest (Name 000) running in the VSAN Cluster and the VM Version 8 (Which is compatible with ESXI 5.5)

2. The standalone ESXI 5.5 wont be joined to VSAN due to company current no plan to pay for the upgrade.

3. I want to move Name 000 from VSAN Cluster to ESXI 5.5

Is it possible?

I do have a Synology with NFS Shared Drive, this is only the "Middle-Man" storage and accessible for both VSAN Cluster and EXSI 5.5 host.

I am thinking to move the 000 from VSAN Cluster's VSAN_Datastore to the NFS Datastore in NAS (Middle Man), and then create a VM in EXSI 5.5 host and mount the 000's VM Harddisk in NAS.

Not sure will it work.

Regards,

Terence

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Terence,

Currently, It is not possible to access VSAN datastore out of the VSAN cluster boundaries.

Yes, you can use NFS datastore. Here are the possible steps you should plan to execute:

1) Storage vMotion of VM (Name 000) from VSAN datastore to NFS datastore.

2) vMotion VM (Name 000) from host_x to ESXi 5.5 host.

3) Storage vMotion of VM (Name 000) from NFS datastore to local datastore (APP_Datastore) of ESXi 5.5.

This will avoid the manual work of creating new VMs on ESXi 5.5 and then mounting VM hard disks on these new VMs.

Cheers!

-Shivam