VMware Communities
vmxmr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Is "Virtual Machine -> Shut Down" or "vmrun -T fusion stop <path to vmx>" Equivalent to a Shutdown from within a VM?

I have asked these questions before inside other threads, but never got an answer, so I am starting a separate thread.

In all virtual machines, you can shut them down from within the virtual machines, just as if you are using a real, physical computer. In every case, the operating system shuts down and the virtual machine changes to the "Powered Off' state in VMware Fusion. Here are my questions:

1. If you go to the Virtual Machines menu and choose "Shut Down", is that identical to performing a shutdown from within the guest operating system as I described above, just as if you were logged into a physical computer?

2. Same as above, but use "vmrun -T fusion stop <path to vmx file>" in a command line or shell script?

Follow-up question:

3. Same as above, but use AppleScript? I have seen comments on the internet regarding VMware Fusion and AppleScript, but I can't find an AppleScript dictionary for VMware Fusion.

Explanation:

I have a Windows Server virtual machine that has a running, active Microsoft SQL Server database. If I write a script to shut it down, I want to be absolutely sure that a scripted shutdown is identical to a shutdown from within the guest operating system; one that gracefully stops the database and preserves data integrity on the guest virtual machine.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Darcyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi vmxmr,

Welcome to Fusion Community again :smileylaugh:.

Both of the 2 questions depends on VMware tools.

A. If you installed the VMware tools. No matter option 1 and 2 , identical to performing a shutdown within the guest operation system.

B. If no VMware tools, No matter option 1 and 2, identical to power off.

Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Darcyz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi vmxmr,

Welcome to Fusion Community again :smileylaugh:.

Both of the 2 questions depends on VMware tools.

A. If you installed the VMware tools. No matter option 1 and 2 , identical to performing a shutdown within the guest operation system.

B. If no VMware tools, No matter option 1 and 2, identical to power off.

Regards

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

Hi Darcy,

This is EXACTLY what I was hoping to learn. Thank you for the prompt and helpful response.

Best regards,

David

0 Kudos