VMware Cloud Community
reaverza
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

vSphere 6 Max Lun ID

Has anyone tried adding devices with LUN ID's greater that 255 in vSphere 6?

Even though the configuration maximum doc clearly states that the limit has been increased to 1023 under FC, in our environment any devices over 255 are not seen.

We have not reached the LUN limit of 256 or total no of path limit of 1024. We only have about 30 or so devices presented. We are using Cisco UCS FCoE VIC adapters. Array type is XIO.

Now I have logged a call with VMware and the TSE seems to think it's because we are in fact using FCoE, and somehow that would mean that the old LUN ID limit still applies since it's not explicitly stated under FCoE. In other words if the TSE is correct, then VMware are just assuming that customers would come that that conclusion themselves.

There is no supporting documentation or KB's about this that VMware support can provide me with, so I am sceptical.

Why would FCoE still have a limit of 255 and FC not? FCoE is nothing but FC packaged in Ethernet. Technically this strikes me as illogical.

Any views on this appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
reaverza
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Issue resolved.

Cisco UCS FC adapter policy setting "Max LUNs per Target" was set to 256. Increased to 1023.

VMware confirmed that even when using FCoE it is possible to have LUN ID's up to 1023.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
reaverza
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Issue resolved.

Cisco UCS FC adapter policy setting "Max LUNs per Target" was set to 256. Increased to 1023.

VMware confirmed that even when using FCoE it is possible to have LUN ID's up to 1023.

0 Kudos