VMware Edu & Cert Community
notarobot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Should I give up on VCA6-DCV? Really??

It's sadly become comical as I failed this exam for the third time. Took the new exam twice (1v0-621) and the old exam once (1v0-601). Prepared what I thought was well by watching VMware DCV Fundamentals, ITPro.TV and even Pluralsight (all had the same VCA-DCV content). Signed up for HOL and took and passed all practice exams on the first try with 85%+. Result of real exam = "you did not pass"x3, ugh. These have been tough and perplexing defeats. I've done fairly well passing much more advanced certs from Cisco, GIAC, PMI and Riverbed and all on the first attempt. I can't quite pinpoint it, but there is some disconnect between the prep material and the exam. Not to say the answers aren't in the material, but instead the wording of the exam questions and answers might be improved. $360 in the hole for the VCA-DCV, what!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you are a technical person and you are going to pursue professional and advanced certs in future, I would say do not attempt VCA again. VCA is a dead end track in the cert pyramid (At least right now) which is made for people who work on pre-sales and sales. If you want to sit for VCP at a later point of time, you will still have to take up vSphere foundation which is one of the pre-reqs along with the required classroom training.

That said, I think Pearson will give you a detailed score report for all the exam modules (They used to when I sat for VCA in 2014). So check that and see where you have to improve and then give it another shot. VCA is not a tech exam, it mostly tests someone's skills on how VMware's product solves the IT issues.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
17 Replies
hjuninho27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I did take 1v0-621 twice times in this week. In both tests I failed.

Most of the questions that occurred in my first test, also fell in the second.
I studied all the first exam questions sure to hit at least 80% of the questions of the second test.
I wonder what the criteria for approval of this exam. How many questions I have to hit to pass the exam? I believe that there is something wrong in this exam.

abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

If you are a technical person and you are going to pursue professional and advanced certs in future, I would say do not attempt VCA again. VCA is a dead end track in the cert pyramid (At least right now) which is made for people who work on pre-sales and sales. If you want to sit for VCP at a later point of time, you will still have to take up vSphere foundation which is one of the pre-reqs along with the required classroom training.

That said, I think Pearson will give you a detailed score report for all the exam modules (They used to when I sat for VCA in 2014). So check that and see where you have to improve and then give it another shot. VCA is not a tech exam, it mostly tests someone's skills on how VMware's product solves the IT issues.

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
notarobot
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for th information on following up with Pearson on test details. I had planned to knock out VCA and VCP given I do IT infrastructure pre-sales to detailed design and also assist with implementations.

I agree, this is geared toward solutions/architecture and not detailed configuration. VMware may improve on the VCA by either going with a 100% solution focus and leave out detailed technical configuration, going with a more substancial entry level technical cert, or going with both one for pre-sales/architects and one for entry level engineers. The VCA seems to be attempting to cover these two very different groups.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
luischavez714
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Goodnight:

I am a student from Peru,

Study courses basics of virtualization, also surrendered my test run, check each topic on the agenda and study and practice.

I had an incident happened to tell you:

On Sunday 10/10/16 after reviewing the topics listed for the exam 1V0-621, I surrendered my exam and did not approve.

Then today 10/16/21, after reviewing again, and verify my mistakes, about to give me my exam as a second chance and again the lowest score appears.

Requests can check my review or verify the answers you mark as they are twice that I'm giving it and get a result less than 300.

The first time I went the pass score came 206 and 201 this day.

Request please verify my case because I have invested almost $ 200 on two occasions. And it seems that there are problems with the system.

Please appreciate it enough, and to consider enough to pay my exam and are two opportunities. Additionally I tell him that in my second chance appeared almost all questions on my first attempt, Please check maybe there was a problem with the system or my team.

It would appreciate enough.

ALSO THIS IS MY CASE. They know they could make no sense that after correcting my questions you out minor note. I sent mail to certification@vmware.com, you know if I do something else?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Your email to certification@vmware.com goes to the team who can investigate for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
hjuninho27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Welcome to the show!

Everything indicates that there is some failure in the exam.

I noticed something different: In the simulated test on the VMWare site (VCA6-CVD (1V0-621) Practice Exam) you can only "passed" in this test if you achieve 100% (all the correct answers). Does this failure also is not occurring in the actual exam?

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Practice exams are deliberately set like because if you "pass" them you can't take them again with the same user account - so unless you get 100% on them you can take them multiple times to see all the questions in the pool.

Real exams are not set like that - if they were you would fail with any score less than 500.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
luischavez714
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good morning:

So is fellow, no sense that has failed the test for the second time. After my first attempt, analize each question carefully, I think the exam is a problem in calculating. It would be good to report it, I hope to have my mail sent to certification @ vmware someone check this test. Because it does not seem fair. The other thing you might think is that my IP of my laptop has been pressed and the system has not processed correctly, thinking that is the examination of my first attempt.

I do not understand, this situation is regrettable, I understand your case, the trouble and sadness that have been going on and I hope to also have reported, keep us aware vmware to see who responds. I hope we analize the exams because the answers should be there recorded in the system.

0 Kudos
luischavez714
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I just gave the 1v0-621 fourth review and see my score still 230-240 and does not rise and have not passed the test.

And definitely will not give more this test, I feel very ripped off with vmware, I have analyzed each question every detail with manuals VMware vSphere 6.0 and yet still dating error.

Definitely I not recommend that this exam dean, has problems in the system and send an email to Certification Operations <certification@vmware.com> to revise my 4 exams but no answer.

It's a shame I feel sad and like a clown.

that criterion is not the system, but if someone pass the exam comment on it. Thank you.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

It's not impossible to pass it - here's a couple of people who scored 400+

TechExams.net IT Certification Forums

0 Kudos
luischavez714
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks scott28tt, it really is very sad invest $ 400 for nothing, me you mention that there are 2 people who passed with more than +400 scoring. You know what are their names in this forum thread or conversation that indicate that passed?

Sorry for the inconvenience, and you to imagine that after correcting many times my examination, I tangled, sad and confused by all this.

Sorry and thank you for your words

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I don't know who those people are, I found those posts and shared the 2 links with you as examples so you know that the exam can be passed - if you follow the links you can see what resources they used to help prepare.

0 Kudos
hjuninho27
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After sending e-mail certification@vmware.com I was answered.

The answer was as follows:

"As of August 1, 2016, this exam Has Been updated We invite you to take the new training que is available for the newer updated 1V0-621 exam: http://mylearn.vmware.com/mgrCourse/collections/view.cfm?c=96297&task=5758931&ui=www
Please review the blueprint below and complete the new recommended training to help determine the knowledge and skills requiremented for passing the exam. "

VMWare not read my e-mail! I had requested several times a detailed report on the examination attempts that I had done. I had no answer on this. Do not spend more money on that exam!

0 Kudos
luischavez714
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This was the response from vmware:

----------------------------------

Hello Luis,

Regarding your Case 16272553210:

We have received your request to review your exam, and want to share a little information about VMware's exam development process with you. When items are created for a VMware exam, they are created by a group of Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) with extensive experience in the area of technology the exam is focused on. The items, once created, are then reviewed by a team of SMEs for technical accuracy before being beta tested. During the beta test period, VMware gathers thorough item performance data for every item presented, and discards any item that is determined to be too easy, too difficult, or not testing a candidate at the proper level. Candidates receiving a score following the beta are not scored on any of the items discarded.

Once this process is completed, VMware can be absolutely certain the each exam item selected for a live exam is technically accurate, tests at the proper level, and tests at an appropriate degree of difficulty.

Hopefully, this detailed explanation provides some detail on the accuracy of each individual item. When you complete an exam, your answers are scored against the key for each of these items, which was established using this method. The only possible way for an exam score to change would be if a key for an item was incorrect, a possibility which we eliminate either before the beta during the SME review or after the beta by analyzing the item performance.

So while a recheck would not alter your exam score, we can provide some recommendations to help you prepare to retake the exam:

1. Consult your Score Report. The report lists exam objectives where you missed a significant number of the items presented for that section.

2. Refer to the Exam Page on VMware's website. The exam page lists each of those objectives, and provides details on what is being tested for the objective, as well  as links to references specific to the objective.

3. If you don't have access to the products and technologies covered by this exam, you can access a VMware Hands-On Lab (found on the product page for the appropriate technology) for free, which will give you a fully functional working environment to prepare with.

4. The Exam Page also provides a link to the community page, where other professionals provide advice on taking the exam."

Hope that the above information gives you some confidence that every item you saw in the exam has been thoroughly tested, both internally by VMware experts and externally by candidates just like you. VMware does not release exam questions or answer to questions from live, running exams. In fact, candidates that see those items on an exam are likewise prohibited from sharing the content with ------anyone else and can lose their credential by doing so. This is to protect VMware’s Intellectual Property and to ensure the validity of the exams themselves.”

------

After 4 attempts, discourages me having to give a 5th attempt, I am so entangled with questions that seem to change those that are right for wrong. Avise way to study if there is any issue together in confusion.

Thank you

0 Kudos
vRick31
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Four times taking the same test is rough. I would encourage you to consider a couple options before giving up.

You could take the VMware Install Configure and Manage class. That would give you more than ample knowledge to pass this test.

Re-think your exam taking technique. Instead of trying to find the right answer, attack the exam by eliminating incorrect answers if you are not sure. This will improve your odds if you have to take a guess. There are some other good test-taking techniques here that could be a big help:

http://www.pearsonitcertification.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1713588

Also there are some good practice exams out there that may help you figure what areas you are weak in.

VMware, Cisco and AWS Practice Exams, Videos, and Live Classes

Good luck!

0 Kudos
AliAkhtar
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hello All,

I passed this exam VCA6 in first attempt, if anyone need help then please let me know on my email. ali.bin.akhtar@gmail.com. This is not correct that this exam is fake.

0 Kudos
JamesCorpuz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just give yourself another one. My bit of advice, you should make it faster. Imagine this, the exam is a non-proctored exam, do you take VMWare will just give you all the freedom? Ok, it's 75 minutes but when you stayed too long on one question, there's something else, right? Just put this on your mind, "your time is also monitored."

0 Kudos