VMware Communities
michi_5622
Contributor
Contributor

Where do I find the VMparport driver (WS Pro 12.5)?

PC: Lenovo ThinkCenter E73 (motherboard IH81M) with parallel port on board.

The parallel port is properly configured (ECP-LPT1) and perfectly working with a Brother LaserJet.

After installing WS Pro, when I try to connect the parallel port, I get the following message:

Cannot open VMparport driver for LPT1: Das System

kann die angegebene Datei nicht finden (The System cannot find the specifyed file)

Failed to connect virtual device 'parallel0'.

There is no 'VMparport.sys' on the disk. Where can I find it or how can I install it?

Thanks a lot for any help!

6 Replies
michi_5622
Contributor
Contributor

I have found a solution! It seems to be an installation bug.

On an old Notebook I have an installation of Workstation 8. So I moved my VM there and parallel port worked properly.

Then I installed Workstation 8 on my new PC and big surprise, also here the parallel port worked properly.

Now I finally found the 'vmparport.sys' file which I saved.

I uninstalled Workstation 8 und reinstalled Player 12.5.

As administrator I startet CMD and installed manualy VMparport:

vnetlib.exe -- install vmparport

Finaly I have startet one time the player as administrator.

Now my VM works on Player 12.5 with attached parallel port properly.

The same I have successfully made with Workstation 12.5.

mod2000
Contributor
Contributor

I experienced the same issue, My expresscard parrallel port was recognized by WS 12.1.1 and driver was installed properly but with 12.5 it is not. I will try your solution and let you know.

Thanks

0 Kudos
mod2000
Contributor
Contributor

I did copy the file into WS 12.5 and my expresscard parrallel port is now recognized.

Thanks

0 Kudos
jhanekom
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Solved it for me too, thanks very much michi_5622!

Now my dad can continue using is 21-year old wage software to print envelopes. :smileysilly:

For the record, I was able to find the file inside the 12.5 installer; I ran the Setup, located the MSI in %TEMP%, extracted it using 7-ZIP, opened one of the CAB files (I think it was MAIN.CAB), and found _vmparport* in there.  Copied it to C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation, then ran your command (vnetlib.exe -- install vmparport), which installed the driver.

The next time I powered on the VM, the parallel port connected correctly.

0 Kudos
MarkusKnoedel
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you your help,

Solved!

it took me quiet a while to find this thread and follwed you steps. Just to help the others, if they quarrel with the same problem, I'm listing my steps.

On my application, I use Windows XP and an EPLAN dongle on the paralle port for electrical engineering.

• Uninstalled workstation V12.5.2
  • Installed workstation V10.0     ==> parallel port working
  • copied C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\vmparport.sys (version 10.0.7.62285 24.06.2015)
  • unistalled worksation v10.0
  • installed workstation V12.5.2
  • copied  vmparport.sys to C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\
  • Started "cmd" as administrator and changed to C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\
  • executed in Dos- Window:
  • Started vm ==> parallel port working

This should work without uninstalling vmware:

With new new file extracted with s7.zip from VMware-workstation-full-12.5.2-4638234.exe in file core.cab

• _vmparport.sys_64 (version 12.5.2 13578 11.11.2016) renamed to vmparport.sys
  • copied  vmparport.sys to C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\
  • Started "cmd" as administrator and changed to C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\
  • executed in Dos- Window:
  • Started vm ==> parallel port working

Good luck and Thanks

urbite
Contributor
Contributor

Markus - You rock!

Thanks a lot for the info on how to extract the vmparport.sys file from the installation exe. That saved the day for me. With this driver installed I'm now able to communicate to a BP Microsystems PLD-1128 28-pin PLD programmer from my Win XP guest running on a Win 7 Pro host. The parallel port connection is through my HP docking station. Now I don't have to keep a real XP machine alive just to use my old programmers.