VMware Communities
Consul52
Contributor
Contributor

Upgrading from version Fusion 8 to Fusion 8.5 problem

I just bought a new Macbook Pro yesterday, and I am really enjoying it.  I am trying to update my Fusion 8 to Fusion 8.5.  It downloads the update with no problems, but when it tries to update the program the installer says it cannot communicate with the server.  I have restarted my computer as well as reinstalling the software, and I keep getting the same error message.

Is there something I can do to get the update to work?

David

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Not sure why a downloaded installer would have to contact a server, but it might be that it tries to download VMware Tools or something.

The thing that I would do is to download the full version (either log in and download) or use

Try VMware Fusion or Fusion Pro.

(the bits and bytes are the same, pick your poison)

Then just run the full installer and it will update your current version of Fusion 8.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Consul52
Contributor
Contributor

I tried what you suggested, and I finally got it to work.  Should I wait for another update to fix the problems are experiencing with Fusion 8.5 and Macos Sierra?

David

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Fusion 8.5 is the latest version at the moment and it does support macOS Sierra.

What problems are you experiencing?

For the record, you downloaded the same version as the update had, just in a different "wrapper".

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
Consul52
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't had any problems yet since I have to buy a Windows 10 iso.  I was reading on this forum from users who have experienced running Fusion 8.5 with a Windows 10 VM.  I think VMware is working on a fix to get everything running smoothly again.  If I have any problems, I will come back to this forum and discuss it.

David

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Ahh OK.

Well on a new release people come to the forum with problems they bump into.

Quite often the problem is unique to their setup and something just didn't go well during the update.

There can be many reasons as there are a lot of factors to take into account. Most of the times the people on the forum are able to help out and get Fusion back to working as they want. You have to take into account that there's a lot of users (I don't know any numbers, but it is quite a large group of customers) so people reporting issues is simply expected due to the scale.

Sometimes there are indeed real problems with VMware Fusion in combination with a certain guest OS or feature.

From what I see with the reports coming in from Fusion 8.5 the reports are not suggesting that there are major issues.

Most of the reports I've seen in the past weeks are about macOS Sierra and older versions of VMware Fusion where Sierra is not a supported host OS.

Seeing a problem there when upgrading the host OS is not unexpected, but it can still work.

FWIW I run Fusion here on a few systems and have Windows 10 as guest OS and it just works.

No problems at all.

This does not mean the product is without defects, but I've also yet to see proof of the opposite.

For the record, I do not work for VMware  (if that wasn't clear already)

--

Wil

0 Kudos