VMware Cloud Community
OsburnM
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Slow Performance Replicating a SQL Busy Server VM

Greetings all--  Looking for some advice here.  Attempting to replicate a SQL Server VM and it never finishes a proper sync even with a 24hour RPO.  Anyone know of any tips or tricks on tweaking/fine-tuning either the SQL instance, VM, or vSR Appliance/server to make this guy go better?  Bandwidth/latency/host/san performance are all excellent.  Running vSphere 6 on target site, vSphere 5.5 on source site, and vSR 6.1.1 Appliance/servers.

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

Upgrading to vSphere 6 on the source will help as there have been a number of performance improvements made that will impact VR. This is because the host at the source is where the replication starts (it contains the vSCSI filter,

Are you using application consistency? If you are I'd recommend trying with it off.

What is the change rate on this VM? Have you run it through the VR calculator? http://www.vmware.com/vrcalculator

OsburnM
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

GS-- Thanks for the response.  Was hoping to avoid the upgrade at this time.  That said, I'm unfamiliar with "application consistency".

I do believe we've narrowed it down however.  This SQL Server is actually the receiving end of a SQL Mirror of multiple SQL databases.  Pausing the SQL Mirror and this VM syncs in seconds. 

0 Kudos
vbrowncoat
Expert
Expert

Application consistency is VSS, sorry.

That makes more sense. I'd guess that the change rate of all of those DBs was high?

0 Kudos