VMware Communities
ChrisMcKenzie
Contributor
Contributor

Issues with scrolling in Fusion VMs after installing Sierra

Hey Guys,

After installing Sierra on my Mac I discovered that scrolling with the Trackpad or a mouse wheel in my Windows VMs is kind of broken, by "kind of" I mean that scrolling only works at higher speeds.

The problem effects every application in all my VMs, if I try to scroll down through a web site in a browser for example by either slowly turning the mouse wheel or running my fingers along the Trackpad nothing happens, if I do it fast enough then it will scroll but of course it goes much further than what I wanted.

Scrolling slowly works fine on native Mac apps but the problem only started after I installed Sierra, has anyone else encountered this problem or would know how to fix it?

Thanks

Regards,

Chris

17 Replies
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Chris,

Would you please install the latest Boot Camp Support Software in your Windows VM and give it a try again? You need to restart your VM after installation.

You can download the Boot Camp Support Software from Apple's web site.

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
ChrisMcKenzie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply, I've downloaded the latest boot camp support software (6.0.6136) but I can't install it in my Windows VM, when I try it just throws up an error which says "This version of Boot Camp is not intended for this computer model"

That makes sense to me since none of the boot camp drivers would match the virtualized hardware that the Windows is seeing from Fusion

Regards,

Chris

EDIT: I've managed to force the boot camp support software install on my Windows 10 VM, after restarting however the issue remains, no change to the scrolling behavior

RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Chris,

No, actually you can install it, you just need a trick. Smiley Happy

Please try the following steps in you VM:

1) Open a Dos command line window with Administrator privilege.

2) Locate to the path of your downloaded package. (e.g. c:\BootCamp\Drivers\Apple)

3) Run 'BootCamp.msi'

4) Finish the installation with the wizard.

5) Restart your VM.

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
ChrisMcKenzie
Contributor
Contributor

I just edited my my reply but looks like you beat me to it

I've done this and got the boot camp software installed but no change to the scrolling behavior

Regards,

Chris

0 Kudos
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hmm....interesting. How many CPU cores did you assign to your VM?

I have a Windows 10 VM with 2 CPU cores and the scrolling is smooth in Firefox and Chrome after the installation of BootCamp support software.

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
ChrisMcKenzie
Contributor
Contributor

I've got one with 2 and another VM with 4 cores, both have the same problem

I don't think it's a performance problem, it's not that the scrolling isn't smooth it's just that it's completely non responsive when trying to move slowly, e.g. one "tick" on the mouse wheel at a time

If I don't move my finger fast enough then I can keep spinning the mouse wheel or stroking the trackpad forever and it will just never scroll, once I apply enough speed it will scroll smoothly, but it scrolls at the speed I'm moving my finger so I can't get it to move slowly

It doesn't even have to be a graphic intensive app like a browser, just scrolling in windows explorer has the same problem

Regards,

Chris

laferrera
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing.  Running Fusion 8.5 and macOS 10.12 on a 16 GB MBP (mid-2014), with a Windows 7 VM using 2 cores and 4 GB of memory.

Anything on the VM (being run through Unity) is damned near unusable with the built-in trackpad or Apple's magic mouse.  Using a crappy ol' Dell USB mouse, scrolling is fine.  In "Single Window" mode, it's bad but different.  It ignores (from either the Apple mouse or the Dell mouse) much of the scrolling input, but then occasionally will respond.

This is not fun, folks.

metamakothomas
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

Another data point, I'm using Centos 7 and I'm getting the same behavior with the scroll wheel.

It also affects windows displayed via XQuartz.

For Emacs running on the Mac, the scroll wheel is ridiculously fast.

I suspect the fix will be more general and not VMware specific but I'd really like a solution.

Reg's, Thomas D.

--

0 Kudos
bachseans
Contributor
Contributor

Hello All,

I have been experiencing  a similar issue with scrolling, except mine is too fast.  I have tried reducing the scroll sensitivity within Windows itself with no success.  The sensitivity is set to 3 but 1 and 2 result in scrolling that barely moves at all.

I am running Windows 10 with VMware Fusion Professional Version 8.5.0 (4352717)

I look forward to a fix (hopefully) soon.

Thanks,

Sean

UPDATE:

I installed BootCamp Support Software and this sadly DID NOT fix my scrolling issue  Smiley Sad

RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi laferrera,

Did you installed 'BootCamp Support Software' in your Windows VM? Usually the mouse performance will get better with this software installed in your VM.

You can get it from Apple.

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Bachseans,

Did you scroll in Unity mode? In Unity mode we don't support gaming mouse so it could happen that the scrolling is too fast.

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
bachseans
Contributor
Contributor

The issue with scrolling does occur in Unity mode but not with any sort of gaming.  I am having issues with Excel and Word, among other apps.

0 Kudos
Insomn3ak
Contributor
Contributor

Having the same issue here. This has been happening for me all the way back to Mavericks and Fusion 8.0. Up until a few weeks ago I simply avoided using Unity mode, but that's not an option anymore. Tried switching to "Never optimize mouse for games", no luck.

And I just installed the Bootcamp Support Software suggested by Rickshu above. That didn't work either unfortunately.

0 Kudos
metamakothomas
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

an additional data point - I'm running Centos 7 and noticed the scroll wheel issue.  I've since discovered that the issue also applies to using the mac trackpad and scrolling.  Using the two finger scrol on the track pad gives me the same jerky behavior I get with the scroll wheel on my mouse.  This would imply that it is not mouse specific but scrolling in general that is broken in Sierra.

Reg's, Thomas D.

--

0 Kudos
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Bachseans,

We have reported your problem to our development team, we hope it can be resolved ASAP, thanks for your feedback.

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos
martxa
Contributor
Contributor

Is there anything new about this issue? I am facing almost same problem that I installed VMware Fusion pro 8.5 on sierra 10.12. Then I created VM with same Sierra 10.12. Scrolling with the Trackpad in my OSX VMs is kind of broken, by "kind of" I mean that scrolling ignores gentle or slow movements and works only at higher speeds.

Thanks

Mart

0 Kudos
sclassen
Contributor
Contributor

Bumpity bump.

I'm experiencing almost unusable scroll wheel functionality in my CentOS 7 VM

I'm running VMWare Fusion Professional Version 10.1.1 (7520154)

macOS 10.13.3

0 Kudos