VMware Cloud Community
jeevdivi86
Contributor
Contributor

Need a IT Services management portal

I have VMware infrastructure setup and I am trying to enhance the automation stuff for the newly created environment.

1. I need a self service portal where all the activities performed to the environment must go through this portal.

2. Portal needs to keep a track of  whatever changes, requests, incidents implemented in the environment

3. VMware Service manager was one doing it earlier, however, its no more with VMware. (Correct me if I am wrong). Does vRealize Automation helps to achieve my requirement ?

4. Is there any other component in VMware fulfills my requirement ? If yes, please share the documentation where I can go and refer along with working instructions or demo if possible.,

0 Kudos
1 Reply
prestonville
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

RE:

1. I need a self service portal where all the activities performed to the environment must go through this portal.

2. Portal needs to keep a track of  whatever changes, requests, incidents implemented in the environment

vRA will do that all well except the part "your keeping track of incidents in the environment". Agents monitor vCenter so give a status but it isn't going to flag up issues like a product such as SCOM etc. vROPS installed would help in this aspect and integrates into vRA.

vRA works wells as a portal and we offer it to our business users to deploy and self manage the environment. We do custom resources for the 2nd day operations so you can add more intelligence than out the box 2nd day actions. Also working on adding storage as a managed item in the portal but not there yet. The business users like it.

To start I would install 7.1 as a POC (subject to you obtaining the correct license) as it has a setup workflow included that sets a up simple system (end points etc) so you can then be using a blueprint to deploy a VM within hours. Once you use it your understand more. Otherwise if you have access to hands on labs (HOL) you can see it in action and there are some good new vRA7 HOLS out.

Reading wise for high level read VMware's Jad El-Zein cloud management book.

VMware

For detailed vRA the version 6 vRA packt book will get you going.

Mastering vRealize Automation 6.2 | PACKT Books

Enjoy.

0 Kudos