VMware Cloud Community
Batistuta10
Contributor
Contributor

Why does vcenter service keep restarting after resetting Inventory Service Database?

So I upgraded my esxi hosts and VC to 5.5 Update 3 from update 2. In doing this somehow Inventory Service database got corrupted and had to be reset. I reset the database using the kb article provided by vmware support.

Resetting the VMware vCenter Server 5.x Inventory Service database (2042200) | VMware KB

As far as I can tell, the database was reset correctly and service started up ok as well. However I have ran into a new problem now. vcenter service keeps restarting now and i cannot connect to vc server using vi or vi webclient. I am guessing the problem is with inventory service because as soon as i stop and disable the inventory service, vc service stop restarting.

Getting really frustrated now and need to resolve this asap.

Any help on this will be appreciated. VPXD log is attached.

Thanks

MK

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vHaridas
Expert
Expert

Hi,

See below KBs if that helps.

The vpxd process becomes unresponsive after upgrading to vCenter Server 5.5 (2065630) | VMware KB

vCenter Server Services hang on startup after upgrading to vCenter Server 5.1 (2035623) | VMware KB

if you are running vCenter in VM, take Vm snapshot before doing any changes so that you can revert back incase this don't work.

-

Haridas

vPRH » Virtual Admin

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
0 Kudos
Batistuta10
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Haridas

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately both the articles you mentioned didnt help. I am hoping that vmware support will get back to me today.

thanks

0 Kudos