VMware Cloud Community
yirden
Contributor
Contributor

vsan HA

I have 4 host with running esxi merged into one vsan. On this machines I have virtual machine failover windows cluster with sql server (alwayson). I have another 4 machines with identical configuration. Can I run HA cluster between those nodes consistin of 4 machines each( If in one node virtual machine fails second node machine will take its functions)?

3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Hi yirden‌,

Yes, It should work as you are expecting. vSphere HA fully supports and is integrated with Virtual SAN.

You may want to read the below VMware docs for more details and recommendations:

VMware Blog: VMware Virtual SAN & vSphere HA Recommendations - VMware vSphere Blog

VMware Documentation: vSphere HA Interoperability

Cheers!

-Shivam

0 Kudos
MBrownWFP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes HA and SQL AlwaysOn are supported together.

Here is another whitepaper that may be a helpful resource: Microsoft SQL Server on VMware vSphere Availability and Recovery Options (dated May 2016)

From page 11:

"Example 2: Virtualized AlwaysOn FCI or AG combined with vSphere HA. Implementing a clustered implementation of SQL Server (either an AG or an FCI) on vSphere is fully supported and increases the availability levels of the solution as a whole."

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Was your question answered correctly? If so, please remember to mark your question as answered when you get the correct answer and award points to the person providing the answer. This helps others searching for a similar issue.

Cheers!

-Shivam

0 Kudos