VMware Cloud Community
SebastianGrugel
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Stuck during vMotion at 13% - Invoking callbacks

We are tried perform patching at environment at cluster level.( by VUM )

We have 4 hosts in cluster.

hosts: ESXi 6u1

Example name of Hosts:

CMP1

CMP2

CMP3

CMP4

We start install patches on 1st host with successful.

During vMotion from second host and now  4th host ( We dont tested yet cmp3 ) tasks stuck at 13%

Screenshot_9_.png

Some advices ?

vExpert VSAN/NSX/CLOUD | VCAP5-DCA | VCP6-DCV/CMA/NV ==> akademiadatacenter.pl
16 Replies
Mattallford
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Can you check the following logs after attempting a vMotion.

On the source ESXi host:

/var/log/hostd

/var/log/vmkernel

And the vmware.log file for one of the virtual machines stuck at 13%.

VCP6-DCV | VCAP6-DCV Deploy @mattallford If you found my answers useful, please help me by marking them as Helpful or Correct!
0 Kudos
ManishKumarVCP
Contributor
Contributor

Please check Vmotion network between your Esxi Host. at 13-14% Vmotion checks network connection (VMkernal Port enable for vMotion) if that is not configure properly it waits for some time and then fail.

You can check IP configuration and Network Connection like cable.

0 Kudos
VMARA
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Normally, stuck at 14% and 14% is due to a vMotion network connectivity. Try vmkping is getting succeed and the vmotion Network connectivity.

Aruna Lakmal Virtualization Professional | vExpert and a Blogger
0 Kudos
Joe1393
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am having the exact same issues.  If I manually vMotion between hosts it works fine but if "System" is the initiator it will sit at 13%.  Sometimes the task will clear/fail after 24 hours.  I have two vCenter 6.0u2 environments and this is happening in both.  I have also have a ticket open with VMware however I have no solution from them yet.

Were you able to figure out what was wrong?

Joe1393
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I think I found the solution to at least my problem.  We have NSX deployed in both of the environments I'm having issues in.  We have two Service Deployments(Networking and Security -> Installation -> Service Deployments). They are Guest Introspection and Trend Micro Deep Security.  If either of those deployments show anything but "Succeeded" or "Up" under "Installation Status" or "Service Status" a System based vMotion freezes at 13%.  Once the status is corrected the vMotions finish as usual.  I'm not sure exactly what is going on but maybe someone on VMware's NSX team would have the answer.

Hopefully this help you.

Joe1393
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This seemed to help at the time.  However, NSX and Deep Security are running correctly and I am still having the issue.  So update from VMware yet.

0 Kudos
Ganeshsekarbabu
Contributor
Contributor

Pls let me know if you have any update from VMware for this issue

0 Kudos
Joe1393
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This was an NSX issue.  I had to re-deploy the guest introspection appliances.  Once I did that then the issue of getting stuck at 13% stopped.

0 Kudos
Rajjabshaikh
Contributor
Contributor

Please try to Restart hostd and vcenter service,

Please let me know further@ !

0 Kudos
Paul82
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Joe - just wanted to say a MASSIVE thank you for this; saved my bacon on a change tonight!

We are using Guest Introspection and McAfee MOVE and were in exactly the same boat with guests stuck at 13% migrating.

When I went into the section you pointed out (Networking and Security -> Installation -> Service Deployments) and clicked the 'Resolve' icon next to each entry, it sorted everything out and the vMotions completed successfully Smiley Happy

Many thanks again!

0 Kudos
GBrown1983
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

We had the exact problem, vCenter 6 U2 (P03) with NSX Guest Introspection and TrendMicro.

The problem started after updating vCNS to NSX 6.2.4, VMware support didn’t know what to do.

After updating NSX from 6.2.4 to 6.3.1 and update the Guest Introspection agents – the problem resolved!

BTW - it also resolved some VUM problem we had but we don't sure if its related.

0 Kudos
peters17
Contributor
Contributor

Removing Guest Introspection (6.2.4) from the cluster immediately resolved our issue as well.  We removed Guest Introspection while hosts had vMotions stuck with the Invoking callbacks and as soon as Guest Introspection was removed the vMotion completed successfully.

We are upgrading to 6.3.1 to see if it resolves the issue with Guest Introspection.

0 Kudos
ShirleyHe
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I came across a exact same case as you ,have you figured out the root causes for this ?

0 Kudos
casperinmd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This helped me out! I had a problem with Trend DSVA, GI was fine. I coudl not resolve it, so I deleted Trend from teh cluster to fix and once removed, the vmotions and power ons work fine. I'll fix Trend now via redeploy and bam! Bobs your uncle.

0 Kudos
rosszip
Contributor
Contributor

NSX issue for us as well, as soon as we removed Guest Introspection all stuck jobs immediately completed.

0 Kudos
casperinmd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Same issue, thanks Google for brining me here.

I removed Trend and GI then it worked. However, I put back GI, adn immediately had stuck VM's again at 13%. So Trend isn't the culprit for me.

I'll have to remove GI again and contact NSX support.

0 Kudos