VMware Communities
drmarc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Fusion 8.5 - macOS Sierra 10.12 (GM) - MacBook Pro Camera Malfunction

I was waiting to report this until both Fusion 8.5 and the Sierra golden master were out, but the problem persists.

I have a Mid 2012 Retina MacBook Pro with a built-in FaceTime HD Camera (UVC Camera VendorID_1452 ProductID_34064).

After I start a virtual machine the camera cannot be turned on by any other application (FaceTime, Photo Booth, Skype).  The camera remains unresponsive even after shutting down virtual machines and quitting Fusion, until I reboot the MacBook.  If another app is using the camera when I start a Fusion VM, the camera continues to work until I close the other app, then it will not reactivate if I restart the other app.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Can anyone suggest a resolution?  I'm happy to provide more information if necessary.  Thanks!

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Everaldo_Canuto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I this mean time, I suggest to use this workaround:

KB Parallels: Facetime Camera stops working after starting Parallels Desktop

It is for Parallels but I can confirm it works on VMware Fusion 8.5 with macOS Sierra 10.12 on Macbook Pro 10.1.

Note that this workaround doesn't  fix the problem, it just make possible to use your camera without restart computer.

View solution in original post

41 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

It's a known issue if you happen to have a MacBook Pro 10,1.

This is the only Mac with this issue.

From our release notes for todays 8.5 release:

The built-in FaceTime HD camera stops working after Fusion launches on macOS 10.12 running on MacBookPro10.1

On macOS 10.12, the built-in FaceTime HD camera stops working after Fusion launches. This issue is specific to Mac model MacBookPro10.1 and macOS 10.12 operating system. It does not happen on other Mac models, and OS X 10.11 or prior operating systems.

Workaround: Use external camera or restart the Mac operating system to make the built-in FaceTime HD camera work again.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
drmarc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

well that's what I get for not reading the release notes...

so are there enough of us with MacBookPro10.1s to warrant fixing it?  or is it time to switch to parallels?

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

We're investigating but we're currently not sure if it's our bug or Apple's. We don't do much device-specific changes, so I can't see it being our bug, but anything is possible with software as complex as ours.

So we're talking to Apple (who understandably have been kinda busy the past few weeks Smiley Wink ) and we're going to figure it out. If it's our bug we'll fix it, if it's Apple's then the ball is in their court to fix (and I expect they will work with us rather than against us, we're friends 😃

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
drmarc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

FYI still not fixed in 10.12.1 Beta (16B2327e)

0 Kudos
TFulvio
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have exactly the same problem !!

My configuration is the same retina MacBook Pro (Mid 2012) and FaceTime HD Camera (UVC Camera VendorID_1452 ProductID_34064) and after start a virtual machine the camera cannot work with any other applications.

Just to test I have tried with other software of virtualization and the only that doesn't have this problem is VirtualBox 5.1.6., Fusion 8.5 and the main competitor Parallels 12 have the same problems.

I don't know if is a Apple's matter or not but it's very nuisance, especially for me that I use a lot Skype.

0 Kudos
Parnassus
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This problem is a huge impediment to my job.  I am a technical manager that works remotely much of the time and need to jump into and out of video conference calls on the host machine while working on one or more VMs.  Having to shut everything down and reboot between meetings is expensive.  I hope you will update us periodically on progress toward resolution.  Thanks.

xoeren
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I will second this - I also use the built-in camera on my 2012 MPB all the time, and this problem is a big nuisance - no matter whose fault it is..

idp
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Any news from Apple on that topic. It seems that the problem is related not only to Fusion, but also to other hypervisors and virtual environments. Similar issue exists when the camera is forwarded to a VM from a Citrix receiver.

Please share if possible a ticket number at apple such that a parallel request can be done over their support to give the issue a priority.

The problem is really disturbing!

Everaldo_Canuto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I this mean time, I suggest to use this workaround:

KB Parallels: Facetime Camera stops working after starting Parallels Desktop

It is for Parallels but I can confirm it works on VMware Fusion 8.5 with macOS Sierra 10.12 on Macbook Pro 10.1.

Note that this workaround doesn't  fix the problem, it just make possible to use your camera without restart computer.

Everaldo_Canuto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After post an workaround something comes to my mind. It is true that something changes on Sierra that makes things different but VirtualBox still works and the workaround application tell us that is possible to fix VMware Fusion without touch macOS Sierra.

So, if someone from VMware is reading this, first, VMware don't need to initialize camera drive before use it, I have a vm without camera and it still causes this bug. At the end, when vm is closed, Fusion can also "reinitialize" camera like workaround scripts does. Also, you guys can look at VirtualBox sources since it is open source.

VMware "can" fix this without wait for Apple.

0 Kudos
philmoz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The parallels replug_facetime program doesn't fix the camera on Sierra 10.12.1 on a MacBook Pro.

0 Kudos
drmarc
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

it does here, are you running it as root?  also I have to restart whatever was going to use the camera after I replug, but that's a small price to pay.  (this is a mid-2012 retina mbp)

0 Kudos
Everaldo_Canuto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

It is not supposed to fix, it is a workaround. If you close Facetime and then run this program (as root using sudo) and the open Facetime again (or any other camera program) it works. I am using 10.12.1 here.

0 Kudos
philmoz
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Early 2013 15" Retina MBP. Sierra 10.12.1 (build 16B2555).

This is what I tried:

- Reboot MAC.

- Start Facetime - camera works

- Quit Facetime

- Start VMware (no need to start any VM's)

- Quit VMware

- Start Facetime - camera does not work

- Quit Facetime

- run 'sudo replug_facetime' - detects camera, returns result 0x0'

- Start Facetime - camera still not working

EDIT
- found the issue. I had Chrome running as well. After quitting Chrome, then running replug_facetime, the camera came back to life.

Tubebaum
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would advise against anyone downloading a binary from an HTTP source and executing it as root.

I can confirm that this camera malfunction persists on MacBookPro10,1 macOS Sierra 10.12.1 (16B2555). Still waiting on a fix from VMware.

0 Kudos
Everaldo_Canuto
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Also, even if you don't close Chrome but run script two or three times, it works. Before 10.12.1 (eg 10.12.0) it works running just once.

0 Kudos
Tubebaum
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Received a VMware Fusion update today; the bug persists on 8.5.1 (4543325). Please address this VMware!

0 Kudos
Antero_Prazeres
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013) - Sierra 10.12.1 (16B2555).

Same problem here. I have it since the last update from Fusion, not from Apple.

0 Kudos
olafwagner
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have precisely the same issue - and also on a Macbook Pro 10,1 (Retina, Mid-2012)

Sounds like the problem is consistent and pervasive on this hardware version.

0 Kudos