VMware Cloud Community
RidgeRant
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Can't find password for user for backing up vCenter Server Appliance vPostgres database

We're running version 6 of vCenter Server Appliance, and I am trying to make a manual backup of our vPostgres db. However, following the instructions here (Backing up and restoring the vCenter Server Appliance 5.x vPostgres database (2034505) | VMware KB), I do not see an entry for "EMD_DB_PASSWORD" in /etc/vmware-vpx/embedded_db.cfg. I am asked for the password when I execute the command  ./pg_dump VCDB -U vc -Fp -c > /tmp/VCDBackUp but do not have that password.

I know that I'm running version 6 but the instructions are for 5.X. Do the steps vary that much? Can anyone make any suggestions?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
vHaridas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That KB will not work.

Refer this KB -  Back up and restore vCenter Server Appliance/vCenter Server 6.0 vPostgres database (2091961) | VMwar...

Back Up the Embedded vCenter Server Appliance Database

Back up the embedded vCenter Server Appliance database to protect the data stored in your vPostgres database.

Prerequisite:

Create the folder in which you want to create the backup file and verify that you have read and write permissions on this folder.

Procedure:

1. Log in to the vCenter Server Appliance Linux console as root. 
  2. Download the Linux backup and restore package 2091961_linux_backup_restore.zip attached to this Knowledge Base article and extract it on the Linux machine. 
  3. Make a backup_lin.py executable.

For example to save the file as /tmp/backup_lin.py , run this command:

chmod 700 /tmp/backup_lin.py

4. Run the backup_lin.py file and provide the location for the backup file.

For example, if you want to save the file as /tmp/backup_VCDB.bak, run this command:

python /tmp/backup_lin.py -f /tmp/backup_VCDB.bak

When the backup completes, you see a message that the backup completed successfully.

-

Haridas

vPRH » Virtual Admin

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
vHaridas
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

That KB will not work.

Refer this KB -  Back up and restore vCenter Server Appliance/vCenter Server 6.0 vPostgres database (2091961) | VMwar...

Back Up the Embedded vCenter Server Appliance Database

Back up the embedded vCenter Server Appliance database to protect the data stored in your vPostgres database.

Prerequisite:

Create the folder in which you want to create the backup file and verify that you have read and write permissions on this folder.

Procedure:

1. Log in to the vCenter Server Appliance Linux console as root. 
  2. Download the Linux backup and restore package 2091961_linux_backup_restore.zip attached to this Knowledge Base article and extract it on the Linux machine. 
  3. Make a backup_lin.py executable.

For example to save the file as /tmp/backup_lin.py , run this command:

chmod 700 /tmp/backup_lin.py

4. Run the backup_lin.py file and provide the location for the backup file.

For example, if you want to save the file as /tmp/backup_VCDB.bak, run this command:

python /tmp/backup_lin.py -f /tmp/backup_VCDB.bak

When the backup completes, you see a message that the backup completed successfully.

-

Haridas

vPRH » Virtual Admin

Please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks....!!! https://vprhlabs.blogspot.in/
0 Kudos
RidgeRant
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!! I had been looking for that version 6-specific documentation, but didn't realize that the Windows and the Linux instructions were both in the same article. I appreciate the help.

0 Kudos