VMware Communities
Robsof
Contributor
Contributor

Surface Pro 4 and VM Workstation 12 Scaling

Hi

I have a Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 and VMWare Workstation 12 (12.1.1), using Mac OS X (10.11.6) as the guest OS

Has anyone solved the scaling issue when using VMWare 12 Player  and Mac OS X as the guest VM. The Mac guest VM text/menus etc. are so small/unreadable on the screen of the Surface Pro 4. The Surface tablet screen is 2736 x 1824 and Windows 10 scaling is set to 225%. I also have 2 x Mac 27" cinema monitors running through a Surface dock at 2560 x 1400.

I have tried amending the VMPlayer exe file compatibility to Win 8 and not to scale

The VM Machine display settings are set to Use Host settings for Monitor. If I adjust it to say 1920 x 1440 it just makes the windows running on the Pro 4 smaller. Does not scape the text etc within the VM machine up

When running the VM Wokrstation and Mac OS guest on the Surface screen natively (no ext monitors) everything is unreadibly small, but when running on one of the ext monitors all is perfectly workable

I have tried a manifest file but VMPlayer refuses to start using the external manifest file.

Ideas anyone???

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Reply
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hello,

Welcome at the VMware communities forum.

Unfortunately Apple does not allow you to run a virtual mac OS X on non-Apple branded hardware.

Since this violates Apple's EULA (and as such the VMware Community Terms of Use), any issues you have with trying to run OS X using VMware Workstation or VMware Player cannot be discussed at this forum.

You'll need to have apple hardware and use a product like VMware Fusion or VMware ESXi in order to legally run a virtual copy of OS X.

Hope you understand,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos