VMware Communities
fracarfzx
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation Pro 12 - Host Memory Allocation

I renamed to the post because the problem also affects the latest versions

Old name was: VMware Workstation Pro 12.1.1 build-3770994 - Host Memory Allocation

Hi all.

Excuse me for my very poor english....

I am running workstation pro as above, under Ubuntu 16.04 last update. The host machine has 32 Gb RAM and is an i7 laptop.

I have two guest machines (2 vCPU and 16 GB RAM) with just installed Windows 2008 and vmware tools.

When I start the first VM the used memory on the host grow enormously, up to 18, 20 GB RAM.

The full memory allocation is done when the VM start and i think is not related to windows or vmware tools.....

I did not expect the allocated memory all at once....

Someone have some idea?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
20 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Actually -unless something in Windows changed recently- that is exactly what Windows does on boot.

It intializes the entire RAM on boot and thus it will indeed claim the full amount of RAM that you assigned.

Plus a bit more for if you enabled 3D support etc..

Over time this can be claimed back by Workstation if not used by the guest using techniques such as memory ballooning.

It seems that with Hyper-V dynamic memory you can set startup memory to be used (See Hyper-V Dynamic Memory Overview )

I am not aware of such a feature in VMware Workstation.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
fracarfzx
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Wil!

I think the problem does not concern Windows.

I explain the problem better.

I did others tests: full memory allocation just happens when the virtual machine start and before windows (or linux) start. It happens also without operating system installed.

I did this test: I create a new VM with 16 GB RAM. As soon as the VM start (it is the only VM started) the host memory is changed from about 2 GB RAM (the normal host memory usage) to about 19 GB RAM.

Even if I install the operating system (windows or linux) and the vmware tools the host memory usage does not descend

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Could you please upload the vmware.log from inside the new VM's directory?  (To attach the file, compose a reply in this thread and then click the Attach link in the lower-right corner of the compose window.)

Thanks,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
fracarfzx
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Darius, this is my log.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The VM should be starting with an initial reservation of 8 GBytes of RAM, plus 32 MBytes for SVGA and some further overhead for the virtualization engine itself.  Where in Linux are you seeing the number jump by 17 GBytes?

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
fracarfzx
Contributor
Contributor

I see that in the resources monitor (view attached fies) and if I try to turn on another VM, the first is turned off by Workstation

0 Kudos
fracarfzx
Contributor
Contributor

The previous behavior is of VM without OS, but a VM with for example Windows and vmware tools behaves in the same way

0 Kudos
fracarfzx
Contributor
Contributor

I think the problem is related to ubuntu (...or to my ubuntu...)

I did the test on a debian 8 (same laptop and same VM) and the problem does not occur...

Do you have any idea?

Thank you!

Fra

0 Kudos
fracarfzx
Contributor
Contributor

I think the problem depends on the installed kernel version. Ubuntu 16.04 has the kernel 4.x. With kernel 3.x this problem does not occur. I saw so much shared memory that is allocated how much RAM is configured in the VM at startup time: in my environment 16 GB for each VM.
Does anyone know how I can avoid this behavior?

0 Kudos
fracarfzx
Contributor
Contributor

really no one has the same problem? I really need a solution! Thank you!

0 Kudos
FireGod
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same problem on all my virtual machines (XP 32 bit and Windows 7 64 bit) and it started when I upgraded from WS10 to WS12.

Once I boot up the virtual machine it is OK but when I start using the network connection (sending/receiving data) the non-paged pool gradually grows to consume all the available host memory. Once this occurs the only way to free up the memory is to reboot the host.

0 Kudos
FireGod
Contributor
Contributor

I solved my problem. I uninstalled WS 12.5 and reinstalled and it fixed my problem.

0 Kudos
fracarfzx
Contributor
Contributor

Good, I am happy for you!

I have still the problem and do not know how to solve......

0 Kudos
FireGod
Contributor
Contributor

Have you COMPETLY uninstalled Workstation (along with all other VMWare products), reboot the host, and reinstalled Workstation 12.5?

0 Kudos
fracarfzx
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I do.

I uninstalled Workstation and all its settings:

sudo vmware-installer -l

Product Name                     Product Version

==================== ====================

vmware-workstation             12.5.0.4352439

sudo vmware-installer -u vmware-workstation

Do you know if I have to remove by hand something else?

0 Kudos
fracarfzx
Contributor
Contributor

but as I said I think that the problem is the host kernel version 4.x

I tried with a clear installation of host (Ubuntu 16.04) and Workstation 12.5 and the problem is the same.....

If I try for example with Debian 8 (that has kernel 3.x) the problem does not occur....

0 Kudos
fracarfzx
Contributor
Contributor

No one has the same problem?
Please, I still need a solution.
Thank you!

0 Kudos
fracarfzx
Contributor
Contributor

I installed the update to version 12.5.1 build-4542065, but the problem still remains...

I always ask for help, I'm desperate!

0 Kudos
fracarfzx
Contributor
Contributor

Version updated to 12.5.2 build-4638234, but the problem still remain....

I am always looking for help!!!

Please VMware help me!!!

0 Kudos