VMware Communities
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

VMware Announces Fusion and Fusion Pro 8.5, Workstation Player and Pro 12.5

See: VMware Announces Fusion and Fusion Pro 8.5 With Sierra and Windows 10 Anniversary Support - Mac Rumo...

I have seen no official announcement on VMware's website yet. According to the article, VMware Fusion 8.5 and Fusion Pro 8.5 are free upgrades for Fusion 8 users.

I hope it fixes my two pet bugs: "Unity windows constantly grab focus" and "Virtual Machine Library mini windows don't display current virtual machine screen".

Window focus issues in Unity mode

Windows apps steal focus after choosing app from Mission Control using Unity

Mini Windows in Virtual Machine Library Do Not Update?

9 Replies
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

‌Ars Technica gives 2016-09-08 as the release date for Fusion 8.5 and Workstation 12.5 - but who knows...

VMware says, “We’re not dead,” updates Fusion and Workstation for free | Ars Technica

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Yep,

Announcements have been made at VMworld.

The official statements can be found here:

VMware Fusion 8.5 Announced! - VMware Fusion Blog - VMware Blogs

Workstation 12.5 Announced! - VMware Workstation Zealot - VMware Blogs

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

And as a free upgrade - major kudos to the VMWare team!

That's a real class act, they could have followed precedent, but didn't....it wasn't a lot of work to get it current, and they just did it for free.  So much for "wither vmware" when they do that!

SvenGus
Expert
Expert

‌BTW, tabbed VM windows seem to be a feature reserved for macOS Sierra hosts, as it simply uses a new native user interface element.

0 Kudos
Jerry_G
Contributor
Contributor

@I hope it fixes my pet bugs:  "Virtual Machine Library mini windows don't display current virtual machine screen".

It will never happen. I spent hours on the phone with tech support after they ruined this feature in about version 8.0.2. They claimed they fixed it in the latest version, but the refresh still didn't work correctly. They destroyed a great feature, can't recognize what they did, and will likely never fix it. I may try Parallels to see if they have this feature.

0 Kudos
clayj
Contributor
Contributor

So when is this going to be available for us to download? Will it show up simply as an available update to Fusion 8, or will we have to download it manually?

0 Kudos
vmxmr
Expert
Expert

According to one article, it will be available 8 September, which is tomorrow for me and today for a few people in the Far East as of this writing. No release time was mentioned.

If it follows the usual pattern, I assume that it will be available as an update and a download. The update may not appear immediately. Even when it is available, I will probably wait a few days for more adventurous people to try it out and report any serious issues. Most likely, there won't be any, but you never know.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

FYI, for the people hoping to update today..

..the release has been delayed:

VMware Fusion on Twitter: "Hi folks! Due to a nasty bug we chose to hold our release a couple of day...

Hi folks! Due to a nasty bug we chose to hold our release a couple of days rather than issue a patch later. Thanks for understanding!

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
robbedoes
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Too bad for the delay, but better safe than sorry.

Maybe the flux capacitor setting can be enabled again ? (X-ing fingers for headless mode ...)

0 Kudos