VMware Cloud Community
Neil122
Contributor
Contributor

Snapshot causing Server disconnection.

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone has seen this before, whenever I take a snapshot of a machine the machine in question drops until about 30% of the snap has completed, sometimes it can take longer depending on the server, this is obviously a problem when we have live machines that need to stay online but we still need to work on them.

we are running

vCenter Server 6.0.0 Build 3634793

0 Kudos
3 Replies
abhilashhb
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Is this part of a backup cycle?

During the process of snapshot, the I/Os are quiesced and are redirected to a delta disk. This will cause issues if the load on machine is high. Why not do it off hours? Or when the load is lesser?

I have also seen this happen if the vCenter and the machines under it are being backed up at the same time. 

Abhilash B
LinkedIn : https://www.linkedin.com/in/abhilashhb/

0 Kudos
Neil122
Contributor
Contributor

No its not part of the backup cycle as we do not use snapshots for backups just for changes that we need to make to live servers, I have used Vmware for a while but I have never seen this before.

0 Kudos
linotelera
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi

I saw similar behavior in VM with huge capacity and high I/O rate in vSphere 4. Snapshotting could have performance impacts due the disk I/O increasing.

Please could you post further informations like performance chart during this operation? Is your physical infrastructure healthy? What about vmware-tools running and version?

0 Kudos