VMware Communities
myname04
Contributor
Contributor

Two computers two copies of Workstation how can I connect them together?

Hi everyone,

I have two computers both are Windows 7 64bit and both have VMware Workstation 12 installed am trying to make it so both VM computers can talk to each other right now they can’t even ping each other.

I could just bridge them both but that’s not what I need as I want the VMS on their own network.
Right now my network is

(With VM) PC 1 > Router/Internet < PC 2 (with VM)

What I would like is something like this:

PC 1 > Router/Internet < PC 2 (Network 1)

PC 1 vms >  ?  <PC 2 vms (Network 2/ with no internet)

(So the host computers can still access the internet but the Vm's are on host-only and in their own network, so they cannot access the internet)

Am at a lost here as am not very good with networks and know only basic stuff. I was told I could use a VLAN to make the network 2 part? But again not sure how to make this work!

Thanks Everyone!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

While technically might be some way to get this to work, this is not a supported feature of VMware Workstation.

Workstation is unaware about VLAN tags, so anything you do with VLANs has to be done by your hardware switch and/or the virtual machines on your 2 hosts.

Having said all that... If I had a need to do what you are asking then I would probably setup a pfSense virtual firewall on both hosts that would connect to internet, connect the two firewalls via a VPN and have both pfSense firewalls also connect to a new network on the workstation side, a "host only" type of network where the pfSense firewall would be the gateway. The VMs that would need to connect to each other would then use those firewalls to communicate to each other over the VPN.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
myname04
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wil!

Thank you for replaying however I think I may of found an answer (I think) what I did was I installed Hamachi on all the VMS (As I could not bridge them since they would not get connected to the Hamachi network) and from their I could Ping, Port Scan, View hosted websites on the vms sever i.e. Apache.

The only thing I worried about is that the VMS must be on "Nat" so they can access the internet and login to the Hamachi network.
Am not sure if this would be an issue?

And of course one downside being I can only have 5 PCs max on Hamachi unless I pay! Lol

But anyway thank you very much Wil for helping me Smiley Happy

0 Kudos