VMware Horizon Community
KiwiMuzzer
Contributor
Contributor

Does Chromebook folder redirection in Horizon 4.1 actually work ?

Prior to 4.1 support for local drive access / redirection for chromebooks was explicitly excluded .

However the chromebook specific doco for the newly released 4.1 has a section on how to implement / utilise drive / folder redirection. Which infers it is now supported.

http://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/horizon-view/horizon-client-chrome-...

However when I try  , it all sets up as per the doco ,  no errors etc , however the drive share doesn't show in the VDI view eg the drive is unselectable thus no content can be read.

I was abit worried when I saw the mention of \\tsclient , given a older terminal server type method.

The intent was to have access to a USB memory stick from within the VDI , when accessed via Horizon 4.1 running on Chromebook (chromeOS).

The USB is seen and supported when accessed directly within ChromeOS , and is vsibile for selection in the Horizon App , just not within VDI.

Is this meant to work ? 

Has anyone got it to work ?

Thanks

0 Kudos
11 Replies
zhenK
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1. Horizon 4.1 client does support folder redirection.

2. Horizon client will not redirect all the local storage to VDI desktop. User should select the folder which you need in client UI for redirection.

You can refer to the following pictures

UI.png

select_folder.png

0 Kudos
KiwiMuzzer
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks,   I get the same , however in the actual vdi desktop the selected folder or mapping does not show . eg no mapping called sdcard or drive letter or anything .   Thus unable to actually get any content from the USB .

Can you show me a screen shot of what the mapping looks like in your VDI

Im wondering if its a setting on the serverside that is stopping it, though USB  is available from any other client, eg Horizon on windows , or Mac

0 Kudos
KiwiMuzzer
Contributor
Contributor

Searching through other posts , looks like nobody has got this to work .

0 Kudos
zhenK
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1. You can see the redirected driver name  in the first screenshot . The driver name is always sdcard on HorizonClient

2. You can check whether you enabled CDR feature in client setting page in the second screenshot.  The setting can only be changed after user login desktop.

driver_in_desktop.png

enable_cdr.png

0 Kudos
KiwiMuzzer
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks ZhenK for looking at this, much appreciated

However I can confirm that the local storage redirection is ticked , that a folder had been selected , but that no redirected driver name appears .  So still no access to the usb data from within the vdi., sdcard on horizonclient does not show.

re the redirection tick , one strange thing is that though im the admin on the chromebook , I cannot change the tick/untick , it is ticked but greyed out . Which implies possibly that its being controlled or influenced from server side.

Screenshot 2016-08-19 at 2.07.34 PM.png

0 Kudos
duncancooke
Contributor
Contributor

I get the greyed out option too with my Chromebooks admin in Kiosk mode.

Strange thing now is in single app Kiosk mode and VMWare Horizon at the choose folder screen, i just used to choose Downloads folder and it would go to the server/sign in screen but now it loops.

Only boots to the server/sign in screen if i have a removable device in and choose that as the location. 

Anyone got this issue with the Google Admin / Chromebooks and Kiosk mode?

Thanks

0 Kudos
KiwiMuzzer
Contributor
Contributor

Same,   appears that once download folder is set , that if its not available (eg usb not plugged in) then the app loops.  resetting it back to the local drive allows app to continue.

Were you successful accessing your USB flashdrive in your VDI ?

0 Kudos
duncancooke
Contributor
Contributor

Recreated my groups and settings in Google Admin for the Chromebooks, Horizon Client and Kiosk mode.

When doing it in the Google Admin console i found the setting "User Data: Erase all local info, settings, and state after each sign-out" - Do not erase all local data option was the setting that made the Horizon client loop with the Choose folder location.

pic.jpg

Once you selected the download folder one time, it seems to remember it now.

I have it working now apart from the USB redirection, hopefully VMware update the app to resolve this issue.

0 Kudos
KiwiMuzzer
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks ill have a look at that , though were running standalone , as opposed to managed through the Google admin console.

Just to clarify , you were able to get the local Chromebook drive folders to be accessible in the VDI , just not those on a USB.

Given no response from VMware, maybe I need to add the query to the comments within the store .

0 Kudos
duncancooke
Contributor
Contributor

looks like 4.2 was released yesterday.

any luck with that?

0 Kudos
KiwiMuzzer
Contributor
Contributor

Apologies for delay , was on vacation .

Just downloaded the new version and retried , no noticeable change .  Still no access to any redirected drives.

Still suspicious of server side configuration possible inhibiting .

Were about to upgrade the server side to Horizon 7 so will see if that has any affect.

0 Kudos