VMware Communities
toddraleigh
Contributor
Contributor

Poor VM performance with USB-serial device

Hi.  I migrated a physical environment (Windows XP SP3 on an old notebook computer - Intel mobile processor) using Converter 5.5.3 and imported the VM into Workstation 12 (Windows 10 on an Intel i7 processor notebook).

I have an application that communicates with an external device via a serial (rs232 - db9) port.  On the original notebook, using the machine's physical serial DB9 port, the job consistently took 2 minutes and 5 seconds to execute.  On that same computer, if I use a USB-serial port device (on a USB 1.1 port), the job consistently takes 2 minutes and 45 seconds to execute. So, for some reason, using the USB-serial device, it takes about 33% longer to execute. Not the best result, but I can live with it if I have to.

When I run the application on the new notebook (which has USB 3 ports) in a VM environment, using the same USB-serial port device, the job takes 4 minutes 10 seconds to execute.  That is twice as long.

Any thoughts on why such poor performance and what can be done to improve it?

Thanks!

Todd

0 Kudos
1 Reply
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Thanks for using Workstation. So on your new notebook, do you still use XP VM? What is the USB coniguration, USB 2.0 or 1.1?

0 Kudos