VMware Communities
BettyB
Contributor
Contributor

Copy/Paste, Drag/Drop not working. Workstation 12 Pro, Windows 10 Host, Linux Mint guest

Workstation 12 Pro (12.1.1 Build 3770994)

Windows 10 (64bit Build 104586) Host

Linux Mint 18 w/Mate Guest

Virtual Machine Name = Ubuntu 64bit

Everything works flawlessly except Copy and Paste and Drag and Drop.  (These are checked under options)

I tried installing VMWare Tools 3 times. 

I tried both vmware.install.pl and vmware.install.real.pl as I wasn't sure which one to use.  Both install fine but the copy/paste and drag/drop don't work with either.

Help to get this working will be appreciated.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
BettyB
Contributor
Contributor

I see many views here but but since no one has responded. So I guess nobody has any ideas what might be the cause.

Yesterday I created a new virtual machine with Mint 18 w/Mate but went with the 32 bit version this time.

The copy/paste and drag/drop works with the 32bit version.  Therefore there's something about the 64bit version that must be causing the issue.

Since the 32bit version will work for what I want this VM for, I'm going to just use that instead.

0 Kudos
Jake_99
Contributor
Contributor

I'm looking into this now...I wanted to use MINT64x for GNS3 work...which I do use currently, but 32bit...

I've replicated vm-tools problems in Ubuntu16-Desktop as well - when it comes to LVM configurations - or manual installations...Ubuntu "autofile" installs work fine.  VMware doesn't provide this option for MINT - it doesn't recognize the iso.

Only if I utilize the autoinst.iso for Ubuntu will VMware tools work fine (Ubuntu16).  If I attempt to utilize logical volumes (LVM) as part of the installation configuration, VMware-Tools seems to get lost on what to do.  It seems to install fine...just doesn't work.  I also cannot utilize dual/tri monitor configuration with an LVM install.  I get an error that I do not have the latest VMware-tools. "The virtual machine must have up-to-date VMware Tools installed and running.  Please check the user manual for help on fixing these issues".

I've checked this using both open-vm-tools as well as the software provide by WksPro12 for MINT (18 cinnamon).  Unfortunately nothing seems to work for MINT.

In Mint/Ubuntu, they provide the ability to:

1.  Erase and install

1a. Use an encrypted LVM

1b. Use LVM

2. Create your own partitions

Using 1 doesn't work with VMware-tools (MINT/Ubuntu)

Using 1b doesn't work with VMware-tools (MINT/Ubuntu)

For 2) I created a boot and swap partitions, and then logical partition for root ('/'), home (/home) var, usr, var/log, tmp, srv, and opt. (MINT/Ubuntu)

So, definitely something more askew with Ubuntu/Mint...the autoinst.iso does work for Ubuntu but VMware does not recognize MINT so there isn't an autofile generated.

0 Kudos
RalphShnelvar
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem with Workstation 9 with a Windows 7 host and Ubuntu 16.04 guest.

My workaround is to use copy/paste of the files/directories I want to copy.

0 Kudos