Contributor
Contributor

vmware-vmx high-cpu problem

Hi.

I've bought a new Macbook Pro Retina 15" with that specs:

-2,5 GHz Intel Core i7

-AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2048 MB

-16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Before that macbook I had the the basic Macbook Pro Retina 13" with 8GB RAM, now I migrated my virtual machines to the new Macbook and I'm having some issues my old machines. When I power-on a VM, about 10s later Macbook fans start to run very noisy. I've seen in Activity Monitor that a process "vmware-vmx" is hanging a lot of CPU (about 140%), in my older Macbook, using the same VM that process doesn't appear and the performance is better than the new Macbook. For example:

-I've a Windows 10 VM with 1 core, 4GB RAM. I power-on the virtual machine and 20sec later the fans are running very fast and Activity Monitor shows that vmware-vmx is using 112% CPU.

I've tried some KB's that I found and I tried to use VMOptimizer but no result.

I'm running VMWare Fusion 8.1.1.

Help please!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Welcome at the VMware Communities Forum.

If you go look into the virtual machine itself is there anything in there that consumes all the CPU?

For example, in your Windows 10 VM can you see if there's anything in the task manager using a lot of CPU?

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
fturro
Contributor
Contributor

No, only 4% of Windows CPU using.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

That is not good indeed.

Most of the times when people report high CPU usage it is either due to windows being busy itself for some reason or due to them overprovisioning the VM, for example by assigning too many virtual CPUs or too much memory.

You mentioned that your Windows 10 CPU has only 1 CPU assigned and 4 GB of RAM assigned, which both should be fine on your host.

Do you have any antivirus installed on your host or guest? Try disabling that.

Another thing to try is to disable 3D in the guest (you'll have to shutdown the guest in order to be able to change that setting)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
slavisam87
Contributor
Contributor

Was this ever solved? If so, what was the solution because I am running into the same problem.

0 Kudos
Alain_Molimard
Contributor
Contributor

Did you found what the problem was? I have the same issue.

Regards

Alain

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's very unlikely that 2 'high CPU' issues are the same cause, especially one having been an issue in 2016 vs. today.

I would encourage you to start a new thread with logs and detail about your setup and situation if you are experiencing a performance issue.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos